• Register Today It's free!

Shuddering on take off

Justme63

Reaction score
City, State
South Central Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer 4.0 4x4 2dr
It almost feels like clutch chatter in a manual trans. The drive train is a 95 4.0, 4R44E trans. Fluid is full to the cross hatches. No CEL
Any ideas? Links to posts? been looking through here but haven't come across anything that pertains to my issue.:(

I recall a TSB from Ford models...dont know if it went this far back, anyways it was something to do with the rear having issues.

I recall a TSB from Ford models...dont know if it went this far back, anyways it was something to do with the rear having issues.

The rear axle is not the problem as I eliminated that as a cause already. Plus this seems as if it might be the torque converter. I did not have this issue with the old engine/transmission. Guess this must be unique to my truck as nobody else has weighed in on this.

It almost feels like clutch chatter in a manual trans. The drive train is a 95 4.0, 4R44E trans. Fluid is full to the cross hatches. No CEL
Any ideas? Links to posts? been looking through here but haven't come across anything that pertains to my issue.:(
I have a shutter on take off but only on hard acceleration. Pretty sure mine is transmission. Doesn't shutter if I'm easy on take off and after 10 mph I can hammer down with no shutter thinking of trying an additive

Back