Side Mirror | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Side Mirror

dpratt

Reaction score
City, State
austin, tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
Some general questions about my 98 Explorer's passenger side mirror.

How easy is it to install?
What's the part number or how do I get it?
What's the best place to get one?
The reason I need a new one is because the mirror broke, can I just buy the mirror?

I have the mirror that is controlled from inside by moving a button.

THanks.

Rather than wait for a reply to my #1 question: Just the GLASS broke?, i'll answer your questions to the best of my ability...

1. Quite easy. Take off your interior door panel, remove a couple nuts/bolts to release the mirror housing, disconnect wiring harness, there you go...reinstall in reverse order.

2. Part # - ? - wherever you look just cross reference what's available with what you have (i.e. model year, body style, heated/not heated, etc.). Generally you do not need part numbers unless you're unsure that the seller (i.e. eBay) is selling the right part.

3. Where to buy? Ford, FordPartsNetwork.com, RockAuto.com, eBay or look at the For Sale board here and find the thread by "ped5stang" - he's always got used Explorer parts available.

4. Just the glass broke? Break remaining pieces out and buy replacement glass (maybe autozone?)

I hope you don't have to buy from ford, they wanted $225 for mine. I didn't buy it, since I had just broken the glass, they of course wouldn't sell just the glass. If it is just glass that you need I hope you have better luck than I did, The part for the 1st gen mirrors is to big by about an 1/8th of an inch all the way around, so my dad ended up breaking the first one trying to sand it down. The second one we bought was one that you could cut to fit, that didn't work, it was really wavy, and you couldn't see anything. So we bought another replacement, and covered the back with a lot of silicone, and just shoved it on there, it broke as well, but just on the right side, so I just put a couple of pieces of tape over that side of it, it's not great but at least it works now.

Just do a google search for Ford Explorer Side Mirrors. They are ALL OVER THE PLACE, and for good prices. good luck,

Back