Xplodor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT 4x4
Hey everyone,

We're doing our yearly "Sierra Run." We'll be dropping off the boat at Shaver Lake and then treking up to West Lake to set up base camp. From there we'll do all the trails up to Mirror Lake, Coyote Lake, Strawberry Lake, Huntington Lake, etc... We're also going to try Swamp Creek Trail this year which is known as the Mini Rubicon up there in the Sierra's. It's an overnight trail. Anyway, we've done this 4 years in a row and it just keeps getting better. If we need to take a break from wheeling then we just goto Shaver and jump on the boat. Great camp fires at night and fun games like washers, and GPS Hunts. If anyone is interested let me know. It's about 5 hours north from LA. I guess you can do a map quest for the town of Shaver.

Later!:bounce:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wish I could make it. The Shaver Lake trail is so fun. I'm not locked, and I'm leaving for Baja shortly after you guys return...not enough time to do both.:(
-Ken

Ron.. what are the requirements for this run? IYO. :D How stock could one be and make it okay?

I was just up there this weekend and it was beautiful. We didn't do any wheeling because my buddy with a 5" lift on his Heep didn't want to get any damage??? So no Dusey Ershim trail?? Heheheeh! When and where are you meeting? How many vehicles do you have going? Do we need to have a front locker? Any more info would be great. I'm dying to try out my detroit locker!!!

I was on the trail 2 years ago, and I did not run the Swamp Lake because I had a kayak strapped to the top of my Ranger. But, for the Toyota IFS guys, what seemed to work the best was;

-33" tall tires - the IFS Toyota guys all had BFG AT/KOs
-Rock Sliders - these kept the IFS Toyotas w/o damage
-low gears - the IFS Toyota guys all had 4.56 gears while one IFS guy had a Marlin Crawler box which helped him out on Rooster Rock (going up).

(optional) - a winch - some Zuki's decided to travel in our company, and one had tall gears and a :eek: manual:eek: clutch. He was smokin' that clutch badly when he tried to walk it up Rooster Rock. Andrew drove to the top of Rooster Rock, strapped his Jeep to a tree, and winched that 'Zuki up the large granite slab. W/O the winch, that 'Zuki would have needed to run the entire trail back from where it came - if the clutch would have lasted long enough...

I thought the SR5's and Tacoma's did pretty good out there. After seeing them conquer that trail, I am sure Rangers and Explorers would do fine out there...
-Ken

...oops! Did I forget to mention they all had limited slips and/or lockers??? Some ran ARB's while others had Auburns and Detroits.
-Ken

Have fun I was just up there over the 4th doing a bit of wheeling. Sounds like you have your work cut out. let me know how swamp is I hvent done that one yet. Dusy is a fun one but very challanging as well.

Matt

It's as easy or as narrly as you want it to be. If someone doesn't want to do a run, you can alway ride shotty!!! We will be doing easier trails though too! If anyone can make it I suggest you come.:D

The run was postponed.:(

What happened??? Let us know. I wish you were taking your rig w/us down to Baja. We're going to have a blast out there - especially during the night run! Yea!
-Ken

Back