six great years with a 99 4 door xlt. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

six great years with a 99 4 door xlt.

mosinman

Reaction score
City, State
Coppell, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Have had the Ex for six years now! 74,000 miles

Update - On the third battery, on the third set of tires, on the second IAC, new Monroe sensatraks at 55K, and replaced one ABS rear sensor. Thats it! Oh, did the Om12 gasket/tentioner recall years ago also.

Maintenance :
Oil change every five K
New paper air filter every year
Drain and refill brake fluid and power steering fluid every year.
trans filter and fluid every two years.
radiator drain and fill every two years.
fuel filter every two years.
Mobil one Truck&SUV or Motorcraft oils, and Motorcraft FL1A
or Mobil One filters

Ex drives as good as new and engine is as smooth as it ever was. Only issue is I cant keep the rear ##@%%! wiper working. Gas mileage is 16/20 with the stump puller gear ratio, so I can't complain. Overall I am one happy camper. :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

97 Sport - 105 K

2nd battery, 2nd set of tires (52k on Firestone, 53k on GY), an IAC valve, shocks at 45K, a couple of door lock solenoids, a new coil pack, two sets of brakes.

Pretty trouble free IMO.

How are you guys getting so many miles out of brakes? My Sport had new brakes at 36K miles, and again at 68K miles. Even the rears were worn out this last time.

Uhhhh, come to think of it, the wife commutes in the Ex during the week, and she tends to drive 'energetically'. :D Maybe it's partly driving style.......?

ROE

2000 sport. 75k
New battery, 2 IAC vavls, water pump, O2's, t-stat, serpintine belt, brake pads.

All fluids synth. Changed at " regular " intervals.

Runnin'onEmpty-
Darn! completely forgot I replaced the front pads at 40K!

Darn! completely forgot I replaced the front pads at 40K!
Thanks Steve. I guess that's about the lifespan of pads on these (relatively heavy) trucks. I'm now on my 3rd set at 70K mikes. They're very easy to change on these Explorers, so I'm not complaining.

My biggest gripe has been a 2-3 shift flare that showed up around 40K miles. Transmissions should be more trouble-free than that. But, it's now fixed, along with the usual other new parts: IAC, thermostat, belt, shocks, etc, so maybe it'll get to 100K with just oil changes and gas. (Crossing fingers and knocking on wood......) :)

ROE

Everyone seems to get new batteries kind of early. I still have the orginal in mine w/ 53,000 miles, how much longer should it last?

I had the original(I don't know how) till about ~78,000 miles, then it died.

302Xplorer said:
Everyone seems to get new batteries kind of early. I still have the orginal in mine w/ 53,000 miles, how much longer should it last?

Mine lasted 6 years.

Yours probably has another week or two. :p :D

Mine is a 99 with over 100k and the original battery.... (knocks on wood for the trip to GA this weekend) :)

I notice a lot of IAC valve replacements.. is this a common problem?

I dont know what it is about batteries in this family. seem within 10 days of the warrentee going out the stock battery dies.

Must be the weather i guess.

Although in some new fords they say they will stand behind the battery for life :eek:

Green98XLT said:
I notice a lot of IAC valve replacements.. is this a common problem?

Do a search on "IAC". ;) :D

batteries.

As far as batteries go, here in the Dallas,Texas area I seem to get about three-four years max with any battery. The heat really does them in.
I have high hopes for my new Sears Diehard Gold as consumer reports rated them good for southern climates.
People in more temperate areas seem to get four-five years out of their batteries.
As far as the IAC issue, like dogfriend says, a search will pull up enough info to overload your computer. Troubles with the IAC is one of the ties that bind us together. ;)

I have over 183000 on my 99 Sport. 3 sets of tires, currently Michelin LTX M/S.
2nd set of shocks - Rancho RS 5000.
3 or 4 break jobs.
3rd set of ball joints. Moog Up and lowers
Intake gasket kit
3rd IAC
3 Trany flushes
By my math 61 oil changes - Mobil 1 since new
2nd battery
K&N drop in air filter
2nd alternator (expensive!!)
Add a leafe kit in 2001
3rd Fuel filter
1 remote starter too!

Starts and runs like a champ. Drives like the day I drove it off the lot when it was new. I would like to get at least 250000 before I trade it in.

Back