Skyjacker 6" Lift

RobbieJ

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
Hey guys I was just wondering what people have to say about the skyjacker 6"lift. I hear that the front ttb lift brakets are made of welded pieces of steel (therefore being stronger) unlike the superlift brakets which are stamped steel. I've herd that these superlift brakets almost always bend. Why don't more people use the skyjacker lift? Just Wondering, RobbieJ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never heard something good about the skyjacker lift. I'm told their brake lines fail at extremely inopportune times and many components snap with no warning at all. I don't know of anyone on the list who has installed a skyjacker and been happy with it. Superlift has its shortcomings, but the skyjacker is just downright dangerous. Maybe someone with a skyjacker can offer more advice I'm jsut saying what I recall hearing over the past year...

I have the 6 inch skyjacker and love it. I like it more than 5.5 superlift that is on my ranger. Go for it

I've got the 6in Class II skyjacker lift in front and 4in skyjacker lift springs in the rear...I'ev also got custom shackles in the rear and love the whole set up...I havent had any problems with it yet...It's great, and I don't see how or why so many people have problems with Skyjacker...I've talked to their customer service and it was excellent! Anyway, Matt, now ya know someone with a skyjacker lift that likes it....Pete

I know... I'm that way, anytime I say something Like "NO ONE likes X product twenty people respodn say they have it and love it, so I've been proven wrong once again :).

Well, Just to let you know Matt. I heard the same stuff you did from a different crowd. I stayed clear of the Skyjacker because of what I heard from my Jeeper buddies. Glad to hear another point of view.

I'm still happy with my Superlift though, It has gotten me through some tough places so far. Ask me again in 6 months what I think though.

This may be an issue of application

Brian, you love your Skyjacker lift, but you've got a 2wd and have never tested it on extreme trails in hardcore mode. Is it possible that others who have used it may have discovered a lack in strength compared to the other lift that wouldn't show up until you really thrashed the setup on a real trail?

My recollection on our first run is that time when you did try to banzai up one hill on a bypass to Telephone Pole Hill, you twisted out and grenaded your front coil spring in its carrier. A potential buyer of this lift kit may be planning to take the equivalent of the actual hill, not the bypass. These are expensive lifts, and they need to know it will work on the Steelbender trail in Moab and not leave them stranded 20 miles from the nearest paved road.

I have no idea how good Skyjacker is, but wanted to make sure potential buyers get all the facts. Pete, you are satisfied too; how hard have you run it? I will say that I met the Skyjacker people at the SEMA show in Las Vegas last year and to a person they were first class people. I don't know about their product, but would assume they would support it with good customer service and help if needed.

Well, not that I've done repettive extreme offroading obstacles, but I mean, I've hit a say a blind 2ft dirt bike jump that then drops 2 feet at about 20 miles an hour...quite an exprience...though I broke something but I realised it just had scared me $hitless....Um...all my truck buddies kept tellin me that TTB is great for jumping...well we've got a nice train track set up that is three sets of tracks and I've hit it at maybe 30-35 and been completely airborn(many times) and I've had no problem, it's never messed up my alignment...Thus far, I haven't had one problem...and I love every bit of my lift...In one month, I will be attending Attack on Attica II and I will get some shots of what my truck can do, then finally get it up on this here site as a featured explorer type of thing...So there ya have it :) Pete

G! I did loosen my coil due to the fact that I did not have something hooked up. I have had my explorer 4 and a half feet in the air and everthing was ok. I did that w/ my superlift and sqeezed the bumb stops. I am all about the skyjacker. plus, it is a smoother ride on road (2wd or not) 2wd's have to work harder "my opinion"

4 ft in the air counts as a pretty good thrashing in my book. I didn't realize you had worked the lift that hard.

Never mind....

ROBBIEJ I HAVE BEEN SELLING SKYJACKER FOR THE PAST 4 YRS AND I HAVE MINIMAL AMOUNT OF PROBLEMS W/ THEIR PRODUCTS. WHEN I HAVE RUN IN TO PROBLEMS THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE HAS BEEN MORE THAN WILLING TO HELP OUT W/ THE REPAIR OF THE PROBLEM. I AGREE THAT THEIR BRAKELINES AREN'T THE BEST IN THE WORLD BUT, YOU CAN CHOOSE A DIFFERENT MANUFACTURER FOR THE BRAKELINES. CHECK OUT SKYJACKERS WEB SITE. SKYJACKER.COM
CHECK OUT THEIR LINKS. THANK YOU RICK

Sconn, please don't type in all caps... but glad to hear that they aren't as bad as I have heard, the other comments were more then likely just biased opinions...

Originally posted by mattadams
Sconn, please don't type in all caps... but glad to hear that they aren't as bad as I have heard, the other comments were more then likely just biased opinions...

Thank you for your responce. Sorry about the caps. Opinions are good and all, but experience are better go off of. This is a very cool sight you have set up here. Thank You Rick

What's with the brake lines? Do they suck? I've never heard anyone complain, and it being such a crutial part, if there was a complaint I'm sure I woulda read about it here...Thanks Pete

I don't know why SkyJacker extended brake lines are getting such a bad wrap. I have a set and I've thrashed them with no problems. I even installed the front left line incorrectly and it rubbed on the tire for a couple thousand miles before I noticed it. It only had slight cosmetic damage...

brakelines

There brake lines are not that bad there are just better ones out there. Some people have really good luck w/ them but most of the time they burst. i am not bad mouthing them because i do sell them. but there some better omn the market Thank You rick

Hey...

Most of the time there's a problem with a brake line snapping or bursting, it's due to either poor installation or the line slipping through the ties or not tied at all and breaking at suspension full extension or when cranking the wheels and the tires grab the line and yank it at an angle against the angle of the banjo fitting coming off the caliper. I've run Skyjacker brake lines on all my Rangers and my Explorer and have never had one fail. And yes, I beat my trucks pretty good. I've had almost all but the Explorer at about 100mph or faster in the rough stuff and through some pretty nasty trails, never had a problem...Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

brakelines

brake lines are eccentual for the vehicle to stop. w/o your brake lines there is no pressure in the brake caliper and then no front brakes. Skyjacker brake lines are good there are just better ones out there. i have sold many to many people and only a few have had problems, but that happens with every product. i would not be worried about running them on your truck. just check them before you go off roading. i would check my brake lines no madder who the manufacture was. thank you rick.

Back