Slight rattle from RH footwell under acceleration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Slight rattle from RH footwell under acceleration

SgKukov

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT 4.0
Hey Guys,

just did an oil change on my 03 Explorer 4.0L AWD. Now im noticing a slight rattle coming from the RH footwell/dash area. Its under acceleration typically. If i let off the gas the sound goes away. I was worried it might be the timing chain tensioner, but when in neutral i don't get the sound at all when revving up the motor.

The noise seems to have nothing to do with bumpy roads, just accelerating. The sound does seem to follow the revs of the motor a bit... but like i said if i pop it in neutral and rev it a bit there is no sound.

Its driving me nuts and i am massively concerned it might be timing chain issue. Any ideas?

Transmission related? Take it to an Aamco and have them look at it. A couple times I've gone there, they've determined it's not a trans issue and didn't charge me anything.

problem solved - mystery wrecked

i am an idiot.

the rattling sound was my oil filter wrench sitting on top of the windshield washer reservoir. I left it there after the oil change and forgot about it.

Also make sure you replaced the oil drain plug. ;)

Back