• Register Today It's free!

Slip Yoke Question

brotherx

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Explorer Expedition
Hey guys, if i grease the slip yoke, will it make my x shift smoother too? I noticed that when i shift into reverse it takes a few seconds and jumps into gear real hard. When my x downshifts when im going uphill or to pass you can feel it shift pretty well.. my mom has a 07 Jeep Wrangler unlimited and you cant feel a thing when it shifts into reverse or downshifts.. not sure if its a fair comparison, but i was wondering if anyone knew if greasing the slip yoke would help it feel more like my moms.. thanks yall!:salute:

More than likely it will not. Greasing the slip yoke will help if you are getting a clunking when you go over bumps or you rear axle moves up and down causing the driveshaft to move. You will feel a clunk when this happens. It has nothing to do with how the transmission shifts.
If you are only getting a clunk when you put it into gear or step on the gas when coasting, it is your U Joint on your rear drive shaft that needs to be replaced.
It sounds like you have an internal transmission problem. I would check you trans fluid level which could cause slow or harsh shifting.

Back