• Register Today It's free!

Smoke from steering column?

scarney

Reaction score
City, State
Beaverton, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
I have had this 2000 XLT for a couple of months now. Started to notice that on some occasions when the left turn signal is on, that it stops flashing (indicator on dash), stays green, and then a tiny column of smoke comes out of the top of the steering column. It appears to be coming from the hazard button area. This doesn't seem safe. Any ideas or reccomendations?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had the same problem on my 99 sport. i took it to the dealership and had it fixed. the problem is that your multifunction switch (turnsingal/wiper switch) is shorting out. You should get it fixed as it can and will lead to other mor serious problems. my was covered under my extened warrenty program. good thing to as the switch is about 150.00 here in delaware. Good luck

Had the same happenin my 95 ranger, also had to jiggle the damn thing ti get the washer to work, etc. Bought the MF switch online for around $32, installation is pretty simple

Replace it. You can buy a new Ford one from fordpartsnetwork.com for $46.

Check this thread for more info MFS

lol i had the same problem with a 96 #### i was so scared lol been driving for years with out fixing it maybe thats why im having o/d light problems now lol

Why they go bad....

Yes, this is a common problem with Ford signal stalks. It happens on a lot of Ford models.

The reason they go bad is a poor contact issue. The supplier who builds the units does not put enough electrical grease on the contacts when the units are assembled. Ford routes major current through the switches, your headlights are often wired through this switch!! That's a lot of current. Not having enough elec. grease causes the little grease that exists to dry due to heat generated and the resulting arcing of contacts causes oxide to build on the contact surfaces. It snowballs from there...

However, it can be prevented and in some cases even fixed if caught early enough. The assembly must be carefully taken apart and electrical grease added in the right areas. ONLY USE ELECTRICAL CONTACT GREASE, other greases will not work! Sanding might be required if contact burns are present. Only disassemble yours if you have decent mechanical aptitude. There are small springs and bearings that will pop out when you take it apart.

My brother and I were driving over a mountain pass at night while it was snowing when his lights shut off! He had been complaining that turn signals weren’t working very well for a few weeks. We had to pull over and luckily had the tools to repair it on the spot. We would have been stuck if we didn't disassemble it and repair it. He bought a newer revised version after we fixed the existing unit to make sure the problem wouldn't come back.

Anyway, hope this sheds some light on the problem. Preventative maintenance is a must on these units if you don't want to replace them down the road. There are revised units that you can buy usually. These might have been designed and built correctly.

This has happened to me 5 times now, and every time they replaced the turn signal stalk. I have ESP from Ford and one time they sent out a Ford Engineer to look at the problem. The fixed it again but the engineer says that it is really not dangerous. It hasnt done it for almost 4 months now, but i know once it gets cold again. It will do it again... o well what can i do.

Back