• Register Today It's free!

Smoke out of the vents.....?????

jshexplo96

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 EB 4x4
Ok, smoke is coming out of the vents on my 92.....I am presuming that the heater hose has busted or something to that effect. Any thoughts????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this with AC on?....maybe just low refrigerent

Robb

I've seen two things cause this..Electrical fire (you would know if you had that) and
a leak in the heater core.. and you are getting steam from the vents...

~Mark

That may be normal. My old Pontiac did that on high humidity days with the A/C on.

My Chevelle did that but it had a R-12 leak in the evaporator.

Wait a couple days and see if it goes away. just might be weather related.

No this is all the time....yes steam like!!! If it is a leak in the heater core how could I check it and how much to fix???

Also....it sorda smells like antifreeze..!!!!

btt

Sounds like a cooling system leak somewhere. Most likely the core....Sorry.

That is definately the heater core. I had mine go out a couple months ago and those are exactly the symptoms I had.

An easy way to test if it is the heater core is to get one of those T's for the radiator flushes and take the 2 heater lines as they go into teh firewall and connect them together using that T.. (it doesn't have to be a T but the T's are easier to find than a coupler)....

Now that you have bypassed teh heater core, drive around.. If the problem goes away you know its the heater core..

Changing the heater core ususally isn't hard (I haven't done it on a 2nd gen though).. Normally it is just the 2 hoses a few screws/clips to get to the heater core and then you just swap it.. not hard once you figure out where all the clips/screws are to get to the heater core.

~Mark

Thank you guys....that helps a bunch

Back