• Register Today It's free!

Snapped PCV Tube off of Resonator

jjhowey

Reaction score
City, State
Houston
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
Must have messed up while changing Engine Air Filter and I snapped the PCV Tube (BB5Z-6758-A) off of what I believe is the Air Inlet Cleaner / Resonator. (still can't find a PN). (Any ideas??)

Can I drive on it still?

Is this something I can repair myself or should I get Ford to do it?

Suggestions?

Thanks.

IMG_20190106_163307.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
You say that you can't find the part number but you put the part number BB5Z-6758-A in your post?? Am I missing something?
PCV Tube - Ford (BB5Z-6758-A) | Auto Nation Ford White Bear La
I don't know about the other questions. Perhaps a more knowledgeable member will jump in. Good luck.

Peter

You say that you can't find the part number but you put the part number BB5Z-6758-A in your post?? Am I missing something?
Peter

Thanks!
That PN is for the Tube (which I provided in case people have full schematics and can see what it connects to), which I don't think I need to replace - i need the PN for the 3.5L Air Inlet / Resonator.

I found this, but its for 3.7L model though (and the PN's he used are all wrong) -- you can see how there is a long plastic connector - thats what snapped which means the Tube probably just connects to it: 2016 2017 FORD EXPLORER COMPLETE AIR CLEANER FILTER BOX ASSEMBLY 3.7L AIR INTAKE | eBay
That Ebay link is selling entire thing and i just need the one piece inbetween.

The other questions I would have is whether its easy to fix, if I can drive on it, etc.

Untitled.png

Thanks!
That PN is for the Tube (which I provided in case people have full schematics and can see what it connects to), which I don't think I need to replace - i need the PN for the 3.5L Air Inlet / Resonator.

I found this, but its for 3.7L model though (and the PN's he used are all wrong) -- you can see how there is a long plastic connector - thats what snapped which means the Tube probably just connects to it: 2016 2017 FORD EXPLORER COMPLETE AIR CLEANER FILTER BOX ASSEMBLY 3.7L AIR INTAKE | eBay
That Ebay link is selling entire thing and i just need the one piece inbetween.

The other questions I would have is whether its easy to fix, if I can drive on it, etc.

View attachment 166210

Assuming you have the 3.5...

$48 here

Air Hose - Ford (BB5Z-9B659-D) | Auto Nation Ford White Bear La

Bingo, thanks! I do have 3.5L V6 TIVCT.
Do you happen to know how the PCV / Crankcase connects to it? Wondering if the connector itself got damaged. As you see from my picture, there is a little gray piece hooked in.

... and does anyone know if I could glue it back in temporarily to drive on it ???

Cant answer either of those questions, sorry.

Gray tab on connector looks ok to me. Normally you pull the gray tab down (squeeze it) and then wiggle the hose off the fitting you broke off. You should be able to do it now., as you need to get that broken piece out either way. Maybe use needle nose pliers to hold the broken piece. I believe that fitting primarily provides a source of filtered air for the engine to use as air is drawn thru the pcv valve on back side of engine. However, I have to believe at times it also vents some air/air oil mist from the engine thru that same fitting, as everytime I take that off, its full of engine oil in that area, and this is the only source for it. I would not drive it if it was my car. The part should be available in a day or two from a dealer I would think.

Gray tab on connector looks ok to me. Normally you pull the gray tab down (squeeze it) and then wiggle the hose off the fitting you broke off. You should be able to do it now., as you need to get that broken piece out either way. Maybe use needle nose pliers to hold the broken piece. I believe that fitting primarily provides a source of filtered air for the engine to use as air is drawn thru the pcv valve on back side of engine. However, I have to believe at times it also vents some air/air oil mist from the engine thru that same fitting, as everytime I take that off, its full of engine oil in that area, and this is the only source for it. I would not drive it if it was my car. The part should be available in a day or two from a dealer I would think.
That's exactly what comes out of the crankcase vent...oil vapor!

Back