So who has converted to coilovers?? I have questions. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

So who has converted to coilovers?? I have questions.

1996BLKBauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
I am looking for some input from people who have actually done a coilover conversion.

Hows the ride? I have my Torsion bars turned up, and it sort of reminds me of a tractor with no suspension.

What issues have you had? If I do a conversion I plan on doing it on my daily driver, so I would like to know reliability.

Would you do it again?

Other then losing the Torsion bars, what was the reason for you to switch?

I think that is it for now, I may come up with some later. Just putting feelers out for now to see what everybody has to say about them. I have looked at most of the threads, but it is hard to find opinions on it in a timely fashion, so I figure I would just ask.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Subbing and inputting my limited experience.

I also considered going coilover on mine. I got a chance to drive stang5lgt coilover'd Explorer a short distance. He lives on a dirt road with some washboard. I drove my torsion bar Explorer in and got a baseline. Typical feeling of rapid vibration from the front that shakes the hell out of the dashboard. When I drove the coilover' Explorer, it soaked up the washboard like it wasn't there. It was very nice.

My Expedition has torsion bars and coilovers have crossed my mind.....

I am looking for some input from people who have actually done a coilover conversion.

Hows the ride?
it was a night and day differemce, so much smoother and i took off my sway bar,,

I have my Torsion bars turned up, and it sort of reminds me of a tractor with no suspension.

What issues have you had?
I had Zero issues even in -40 weather,,

If I do a conversion I plan on doing it on my daily driver, so I would like to know reliability.
i daily drove mine even in real cold weather, it held up perfectly,,

Would you do it again?
I am going to do it again to another one, but a Ranger,,

Other then losing the Torsion bars, what was the reason for you to switch?
all kinds of good things, better ride, better handling, ease of adjustment, better everything,,

i drove the crap out of it actually,,
bounced across logging roads at high speed,,
Long Highway trips in -35
slogged it through slush and snow ,
ice roads like a ****,,
mud to the top of the tires,

only ever broke 1 cv axle cause i broke a limit strap mount and it actually pulled it apart on droop,,

biggest lessons of the whole endeavour,
it was well worth every penny, and

make sure you put limit straps ,, this is the most important part of the whole process and should not be skipped,,

I have Fox 2.5s with 850lb springs in my ranger. It rides better than torsion bars for sure but I think I would be even better with 750lb springs. I like driving my ranger so much I prefer it over my Focus.

I am running a 4" superlift with the coilovers. I also have my old 5" RCD coilover kit in storage I was thinking about hybriding in to get another inch out the front.

it's not for serious rock crawling even with the Superlift though,, there is up travel, too much some times,
but not enough droop,, the cv's limit it too much,,

For what i do it's great though,,

Attachments

• winter  shot.jpg
    winter shot.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 288

Thanks for the input guys! I really do appreciate it. I am looking to do this to my rig either next fall, or the following summer as I get more into off roading and such, see how it is my Daily driver, i am glad to hear it will ride better.

it's not for serious rock crawling even with the Superlift though,, there is up travel, too much some times,
but not enough droop,, the cv's limit it too much,,

For what i do it's great though,,

What's going on in that picture? There's more snow on you than there is on your rig!

yeah i had to set the camera on the ground, see thru the view finder, so i laid down,, got snowy,,

Where would you get the brackets from? I've been considering this swap also.

I Would love to do my 98 explorer 4door 2wd ,,, anyone no where I could get the Brackets from, are the Hole Kit with everything I need to stay at stock ride height,,, ANY INFO WOULD BE NICE,,,THANKS

Nobody has any info on where I can buy the kit to do this on my 98 explorer 4x2 4door,, would love it to ride better ,,, thanks

Back