Soft Reverse? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Soft Reverse?

Mali85

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
Hello, I have a 2003 Ford Explorer 4.0 4wd, about 2 years ago my transmission started a delayed hard shift into reverse, I had the transmission flushed and it has been perfect since then that was at about 130k miles.

Now 2 years later at about 160k miles when the truck is first started there is a tapping sound (like a engine valve) coming from the transmission pan, the sound goes away when you put it in gear or once it warms up.

when you put the truck in reverse it engages as you see the slight drop in RPM and when you let off the brake it moves backwards however when you apply throttle the rpm increases yet the truck does not move any more than a creep.... I did pull the pan and checked there was no debris metal shavings or anything out of the ordinary the fluid look OK, I replaced the filter and filled her back up and no change.

All the foreward gears work fine occasionally there will be a slight delay in the shift from 2-3 but nothing serious

there are no codes no warning lights everything is ok there.

I'm trying to narrow down the cause for this I was debating replacing the valve body and solenoid pack, however I do not want to replace something I don't need to if it is possibly the reverse servo I do not have a lot of experience with these transmissions.

any help would be appreciated thanks

Back