Loud popping sound and now no reverse! 2004 4.0 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loud popping sound and now no reverse! 2004 4.0 Explorer

19mustang67

Reaction score
City, State
Capitola
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer 4.0L
This is on my 2004 4.0 Explorer with automatic transmission. The truck is a 4 wheel drive. I started up my truck today to move it from in front of the garage so I could put another vehicle in the garage. When I put it in reverse I heard a loud noise (one big clunk / pop) and now I have no reverse. The forward gears seem to work fine. It has been having a little delay (and then a hard shift) when I put it in reverse for a few weeks before this. Probably a broken reverse band? How much to have it fixed on a 4x4? The transmission has to be pulled? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The truck is now stuck in front of my garage. It is on a bit of a slope so I can not push it back. May be a dumb question but will the 4 wheel drive allow me to back it up? Not sure how any of that works related to the transmission?? I just want to get it out of the way for now. Sadly it is probably not worth fixing if it is the reverse band although the truck is in fairly good shape.

Thank you for the reply. I figured the 4 wheel drive must go through the transmission as well. I called the AAmco shop in my local area. The guy said it sure sounded like a broken reverse band and he was very familiar with that common problem. He quoted me $2,500 to $2,800 to rebuild the transmission! Ouch. Bummer deal...

Yea. Unfortunately that reverse band is the last piece out of the case and the first piece in. So if your going to fix it, you may as well do a rebuild while you are at it.

Well it looks like I'm going to sell my perfectly good / fairly clean truck (now with no reverse) for $150.00 to one of those we buy junk cars places. It is currently stuck in front of my garage. I have AAA but they refuse to move it on to the street for me. They will only tow to a repair shop. It's a crying shame! If not for the unfortunate virus situation I would consider trying to sell it as mechanic special for $500.00. Not worth the hassle now I guess. I also need to buy a new SUV too. #@%$!!

Try 4low and don't hit the gas in reverse, it might move where you need it to with that broken band

If everything else works OK, I would consider fixing it. These transmissions aren't bad if the proper upgrades are done on them at rebuild. I have a 2002 that was rebuilt at 140K, and is still going strong at 330K. It cost me about $2400 for the rebuild, but 190K later, it turned out to be money well spent.

Thanks for the replies. I tried to reverse the truck by putting it in 4low but it would not move at all. The truck is in good shape and runs fine except for having no reverse. It only has just under 140,000 miles on it. I have called 4 different shops to see about a transmission rebuild today and all of them want right around $3,000 to $3500! Even AAmco who said maybe $2500 to $2800 yesterday said it would be $3300 after they really ran the numbers and gave me a firm quote. I asked and AAmco has said they would be willing to just go in and change the reverse band + add new filters and seals for $1700. They would not do a full rebuild but just do the reverse band repair. They would offer a 90 day warranty. They said they will pull the trans and have a look at it. If it is not worth repairing after it is inspected I will have to pay the $700 inspection fee either way. A bit of a gamble? If I don't want the work done then they put trans in the back of truck and I take it to the wrecking yard (after I pay $700). Not sure what to do here! Either I go with the AAmco route or I just sell for $150 to the wrecking yard and skip the hassle? It is a tough call.

4x4transmisson.PNG

A mechanic shop can do the swap, don't need a transmission shop...

Back