SOHC '99 starting problems..help please | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SOHC '99 starting problems..help please

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not a broken cassette guide

WHEN the motor runs..it is normal quiet.. no noises

That's good. It means that neither of the cassette guides are broken and that the engine hasn't thrown a cam follower or broken a valve spring.

The sudden oil deposit which was not there before I think was because I replaced the PCV.

That may indicate that there is excess crankcase pressure. Did you check the new PCV valve to make sure it wasn't stuck before installing it? Did it rattle if you shook it or could you blow thru it in one direction? According to your first post you were still having problems after the fuel filter and pump replacement. Did you replace the PCV valve before or after replacing the fuel pressure damper?

There should be a port on the passenger side valve cover and a hose connecting the port to the main intake hose. It allows metered air (measured by the MAF sensor) to enter the crankcase. The crankcase fumes exit the block via a breather at the top rear of the block and flow thru the PCV valve to be sucked into the intake manifold to get burned. Make sure its connected and has no splits or breaks.

Did your PCV valve look like the photos below?
VALVE.JPG

PCVOASY2.JPG

The hose at the bottom of the valve goes to the breather.
breather.jpg

The other two hoses go to the upper intake manifold (one to each side).

don't drive it

oil from tail pipe

Oil coming from the tail pipe indicates either blown valve stem seals or high crankcase pressure allowing oil past the piston oil control rings. If there is high crankcase pressure the crankshaft rear main seal may start leaking. Don't drive the vehicle until you determine what's going on.

PCV valve was good..sure shook it before I installed. Snugged it into the tube and tee above was intact. This was replaced after the others. Was my last install.

FIXED. Was the darn ECT sensor. Runs perfect now.

THANKS for the help and your time. :thumbsup:

Back