• Register Today It's free!

SOHC rear chain tensioner

ARTURPOLAND

Reaction score
City, State
POZNAN, POLAND
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 HIGHCLASS
Hi, I have read a lot about OOm12 which contains front cam chain tensioner. I also have heard that there is a rear cam chain tensioner accesible through the wheel well on the passenger side. My 97 SOHC is slightly rattling (and it seems to me that it comes from the rear cam chain (it is also audible near the right side catalysator). Does anyone knows something about this other tensioner. I am about to change the spark plugs so it would be good idea to change the tensioner as well. regards.Archie

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sorry wish I could help, but instead of starting a new thread for the same question, just bump it back to the top.

Good luck

Friend, I just went through resetting the timing on both of my cams again. The procedure requires removing the tensioners for testing.

The right inner fender needs to be removed, the cam tensioner goes into the far rear/side of the head. The torque spec is 49lbs/ft, so you need good leverage. I recommend several extensions to get a ratchet to reach from outside of the fender(about 24").

BTW, the two tensioners are both hydraulic and mechanical. The spring inside is what wears out, hopefully that is your issue. They are not high, less than $40 here at Ford. Good luck,

thanks, now everything is clear. i am going to order the tensioner and report on results of the job

I'm having a similar problem, mine has a nice clattering sound at idle. Was the rear tensioner fairly simple to replace and did it do the trick?
Thanks

Back