solid axle question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

solid axle question

Reaction score
City, State
greensboro, north carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
93' exporer sport
im thinking about doing a solid axle conversion in the front of my 93 sport and was wondering if i could use the dana 30 out of a jeep grand cherokee. the only problem with this is that it does not have manual hubs and i was wondering if i could convert to manual from what it has now? i know its not a dana 44, but i dont have the kind of money to cut and weld it, and get new axles for the rear to match the 44, i just wanted a solid axle up front along with a lift, all in one step. the good thing about this axle is that it has disc breaks, the same bolt pattern, and a 3.73 gear ratio like i have now. so any sugestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you can find a 44 out of an older bronco say 77 and older you wont have to mess with the rear. I'm in the same situation and also a waggoner front will work.

The Dana 30 is an OK axle. However, fabbing a 4 link suspension like the Grand Cherokee's would be WAY tougher than dropping in an EB Dana 44.

And EB Dana 44 (all years) are still 5 on 5.5".

I have thought about this as well because I could afford an axle, but new locker, gears for the front, as well as having mismatched bolt patterns is not looking fun. A dana 30 might(I know some did) use a vacuum type mechanism to lock in the 4x4 as well as no unlocking of the hubs unless you buy the conversion kit for nearly $600, with that kind of money, you, well, you have enough to buy an axle that works for the rear too!

thanks for the information guys. so i guess the 44 is the way to go. madmike, do you know much about the grand waggoner axles? like what bolt pattern, gear ratio, and if it has disc breaks? also, about how much is it going to cost to have it cut, and do they cut the axle or do you have to buy a new axle for one side? sorry for all the questions, but im just trying to find out all i can. thanks

you could also go with the Dana 30 out of a 66-70 Early Bronco, they go real cheap. They would bolt up as easily as the EB Dana 44s do. They are low pinion, and of course weaker than the Dana 44, but they are super cheap. You could probably find one complete for 100 bucks. They are also drum brakes and 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern, which is another reason they are so cheap.

thanks mudwhorre, where would i find an axle like that. is there a place like ebay or online i could go, or just have to go to a junkyard? do you think its safe to run drums in the front? and also, what are the stock gears in it? does this axle have manual hubs or is it an automatic type system? i really appreciate ya'lls help, thanks.

I've got a Dana 30 from a '68 Bronco. I've done a little research on them. I don't they came from the factory with 3.73 gears, you will get either 3.55 or 4.10, I got the 4.10, and they will have the 5x5.5 bolt pattern. I bought mine off ebay for $50 and it included everything, springs, radius arms, steering, etc...I am replacing the springs, I'm fabbing a mount so I can use Ranger springs, and I replaced all the seals and gaskets and I still haven't gone over $200. I have seen D30's for as little as $20 complete. I don't know about the Ex but the Ranger driveshaft will bolt right up to the axle also. The thing with the EB D30 is the kingpins, good luck finding one with good kingpins and bearings, they are not the easiest things to replace, and they are about $40 for one kit, and there are four of them. The only place that I have seen these kits are at Jeffs Bronco Graveyard

You could find one of these axles just about anywhere, I have seen a lot of them at the junk yards around San Diego, I never looked at them though, but I'm sure you could find a good one just about anywhere.

Drums are fine, but obviously not the best, I don't think they put drums on the front of vehicles for the past 35 years or so. There are disc brake kits for them or you can use the 'chevy conversion' which is fairly easy to do

Being as old as they are you will probably only find manual hubs on one.

OK, one more thing. If, later on, after you wore your D30 out you could easily swap in a EB 44, bolt right in! . Hope I helped and didn't just ramble

Back