Solid Axle question.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solid Axle question....

I have a friend that is selling a Dana 60 off of a late model Ford F350 Superduty, really cheap, anyone know if this axle would work on a '97 Explorer? I understand that mods would have to be made, but is this feasible?
Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmm....

Whats the width of the D60? Would you want or need to cut it down size? Some people really want the wider stance if they are going tall with 38's and up, so it's up to you weather you would have to spend money cutting the axel and tub down to match your existing stance.

Then you have to either fab the mounting to work with your coils or go with springs. This would be the expensive part. The getting the steering to work.

Is Cheap less than a hundred? I'm guessing the custome stuff would run a grand, but thats just a guess.

Let's hear what the others think.

Does Kelly know about your wanting to spend money on your toy??? Remember, us gals read this also, and if she doesn't know, I will have to tell!!!!!!!!!!!

You're gonna lose a lot of clearance drooping that D60 pumpkin down below your rig. I haven't heard of any of us blowing our 8.8's yet and question the need to stuff a battleship-duty pumpkin under there that will hang you up and take away so much trail clearance when you haven't even been able to break your 8.8 yet. I'd rather keep the clearance I have than lose it all by spending money fixing a problem I've never had before.

Just a thought. I'm wrong a lot. :D

[Edited by GJarrett on 01-09-2001 at 08:40 PM]

Teri,
Kelly doesnt know about "all my plans" yet, I find she takes it better when I just go out and do it. Doesn't mean I dont get earful when I get home though. ;)

Rob,
Not sure of the width, sure it would have to be cut down. He's selling it for $150.

Gerald,
It's the front axle. I hear ya on the clearance though, thats one big sucka'.

Thanks for the responses,

Rod--If I remember correctly, a good shop can cut off nearly 2 inches from a dana 60. I believe it was done in a receint 4x4 mag.
Pete

Get in the re-sale business. People will pay alot more than your price for a D60 axle. If nothing else, buy it and hang onto it untill you can sell it again. Also you would have to match the lug pattern if you decide to use it.

rfr what happened to the mile long signature

The rear in question can be made to fit an Exploder. Cut it down and mount up some coil buckets, new shock mounts, trailing arm brackets, panhard rod, engineer the new steering, modify the shaft from the t-case to the yoke of the rear. Simple. Possible, yes. Expensive, possibly. Feasible, not sure. Also, check to be sure it is a Dana 60. If the late model truck in question is a SRW F350, then you have a Dana 50. 60's only come in dually trucks now. Another option for you is to sell me the rear so that I may finish rebuilding my 79 1 ton Ford truck. Can be reached at PVTRPaul@aol.com

Back