Solid axle ?'s | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solid axle ?'s

I have decided to skip the lift kits and go with the solid axle swap. I am in the planning stages of the swap. I would like to lift it to about 4 or 5 inches. I Know a guy that builds and modifies 79 Broncos. He sold me a Dana 44 out of a 79 Bronco and told me he can get me every part of the 79 Bronco suspension for cheap. Is this a reverse rotation 44? I am wondering if anyone can help me, by making a list of parts or telling me what I would need. Should I go with leafs or Coils in the front? Do I need the radius arms, Coil brackets? How would I get it to be about 4 or 5 inches all the way around? How would i get the most flex? Any advice would be greatly helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So the drop bracket you have is an aftermarket drop bracket?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well then I'm lost. The ones I got off the stock 79 F150 mounted flush to the frame and as do my friends. Sorry I couldnt help.

Well, did you have to modify your engine x-member? How did your caster com out?

anyone know if radius arms from a bronco will fit a dana 30 from a wrangler?

wont they fit if the O.D. of the axle housing are the same?

I'm not ure on that one. You mean Jeep TJ wranglers, right. They may control arms, and pivot in the front and back of the arm. Bronco's have this diamond shape mount that the arms clamp around, so I don't think you could make it work. but I would imagine that if you made longer control arms, there are for on wranglers, I believe, you should have a good setup

If the bronco arms just clamp on could they just clamp on to the dana 30? or would the wrangler arms be better? I wanted to go with the bronco arms just becuase there are more options and the rear mounting brackets are available and easy to install. I am not sure if i can even get the rear brackets for the jeep, I think they are welded onto the frame. Also i want to minimize the cost of this. I could fab up custom brackets but I am more comforable using premade ones.

WildHorses and James Duff sell a conversion kit for the D30 to accept the RA's from a bronco - check them out. The arms calmp on, but they aren't round - they are more diamond shaped.

J

do yall think that the stock jeep arms will work, or will they be to short?

It was brought up earlier, but never fully discussed, why not use coils in the rear also.....

Originally posted by MonsterTrac
It was brought up earlier, but never fully discussed, why not use coils in the rear also.....
You could always fab up coils in the rear..........but why? It is a lot of custom work and $$$$.

not an issue for me, I drive a Trac, so I dont have passengers sitting near the rear wheel, sBut I was thinking some four doors might want their rear seat passengers to enjoy the smoother ride of coils.

Back