Solid-On Turn Signal - Solved

Roadrunner777

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bemidji, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 4x4 Sport 88k
I have not posted in several years... had a run of good luck with truck and some life challenges. Anyway, I just solved a problem and it's so strange, I think it's worth spending some time to document.

Symptom:
Right turn signal on dashboard is solid-on, that is, not flashing normally.

Observations:
The right rear signal/brake light does not come on with brakes, turn signal, or emergency blinkers.
The front right turn signal is solid on for turn, and blinks normally with emergency blinkers.
The left side works normally in all respects.

Conclusions to this point:
The left side works, so the flasher unit is ok.
The fact that the dashboard signal is not flashing rapidly suggests it is not a burned out bulb.

Tests:
I tested the multifunction switch per the factory EVTM manual, and it's fine.
I replaced the bulb, twice, just out of abundance of time and new bulbs... did not help.

Now, this is where the train leaves the tracks a little bit: I blocked down the brake pedal so solid voltage would be sent to the signal. I then measured voltage leaving the multifunction switch and it was 12 volts. I measured the voltage at the bulb socket contacts, and got a reading of about 10 volts without a bulb installed, and zero volts with one installed. I still got a solid 12 volts at the multifunction switch with a bulb installed.

Conclusion to this point:
There is a problem in the wiring between the multifunction switch and the bulb. It is not a complete break because there is trace voltage and for whatever reason, it is not making the blinker flash rapidly like a typical failed bulb.

Further Tests:
At this point, I put away my voltmeter because it was picking up trace voltage and misleading me. I switched to a screwdriver-style test light. Back to the EVTM manual, I discovered this wire routes from the multifunction switch down the left side under the door sill (I have a 2-door) and there is a splice in that bundle, so the signal can go to the right side light and to the towing relays in the left side above the rear window washer reservoir. I used my test light to check for voltage at the towing relays and it's good!

So, the problem is in the splice or the wiring harness going to the right side. The splice is a huge job to get to. The book has it basically in the area under the seat belt retractor which means pulling out basically the entire left side interior. As I ponder this... I read a new weather forecast: Winter storm watch turning to storm warnings tonight. And, I don't have a garage. So, I ran a new wire from the towing relays to the bulb and called it a job. I'm sad to say that, due to extensive corrosion, and I mean extensive, that we will very likely retire our trusty '94 Explorer next summer, but it will be missed. If I can find one with half the rust this one has now, I'd buy it and keep on driving first generation Explorers. I'm sorry this post ran so long, but it's probably my last new post here, though I may peek in from time to time to reply to other threads. Take care!

~RR

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had the same problem before. behind the rear right seat I had three wires fused together because of short

apparently the ground wire is connected very cleverly from the BOO (LG) to multifunction sw (LG) to two other connectors and then to firewall connector. ripped a dash out of a junk yard 93 exp to trace it. the (LG and G/R) melted together.

No turn signal problems on my 94 Ranger (knock wood), but I have an old 84 F250 that has most horrible electrical problems and I needed it to be legal. I found website showing how to make independent turn signal harness using I think it was four generic Bosch relays. Cant remember now, might been five. Set it up so I can trigger it with either an on-off-on toggle switch on dash or with the turn signal switch in the steering column. The switch in the steering column sometimes works, sometimes doesnt. The toggle always works but less handy. Also added another toggle so I have emergency flasher. The original emergency flasher had never worked on this thing.

Just saying sometimes a workaround is the easiest way to go.

hey roadrunner77 there is a sport 93 I believe on ksl.com got to site click on cars put in explore then to year 91 low 94 high it looks really but haven't gone to look
roscoe

Back