94 Navajo LED Turn Signal Solid on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Navajo LED Turn Signal Solid on

JustinGibson

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994, Navajo
1986, Xr4ti
Hey all, I have been interested in relocating the turn signals from the bottom of the bumper on my Navajo for a while now and since I had my bumper off to paint it I decided it was time so I purchased poison spyder led turn signals/marker lamp because they also have three wires and I have seen them used to replace the same 3157 bulb the Navajo has. I knew that I would need to purchase a led flasher to take care of hyper flash but for some reason I am only getting solid on from my turn signals rather than any flashing. I have only started on the driver side and still have the traditional bulb in the rear and the stock flasher.
Any input?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’d guess the LEDs aren’t drawing enough to trip the relay (bimetallic heat strip that warps as current heats them up. They warp, break connection, and close the circuit as the strip cools.) Hyper flash happens when the strip cools too fast, and closes almost immediately before heating back up and opening. If you put the regular bulb back in they should function as intended. If so, get the LED flasher. (Most of these work with an internal timer, and not the load tripped mechanism.

I’d guess the LEDs aren’t drawing enough to trip the relay (bimetallic heat strip that warps as current heats them up. They warp, break connection, and close the circuit as the strip cools.) Hyper flash happens when the strip cools too fast, and closes almost immediately before heating back up and opening. If you put the regular bulb back in they should function as intended. If so, get the LED flasher. (Most of these work with an internal timer, and not the load tripped mechanism.
Thanks Ill pick one up. The original bulb still works when I wire it back up.

I have used “no load“ flashers in the past, but not with LEDs

Everything is working with the new flasher. I bought the LL552 from o'reilly for $7 if anyone is upgrading to led turn signals. I am not sure if this one works for led indicators at all 4 corners but at least the front.
Thanks

The turn signal has been working great but the front marker function stops working when the turn signal is wired up. The lights are 3 wire like the stock 3157 with a 100% power for the turn signal 50% for the marker light and a ground and the marker light works if I unplug the turn signal. I believe it has to do with the floating ground but I haven't had the time to look further into it.

Back