SOLVED - HELP! No crank, no start, and no communication with PCM | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SOLVED - HELP! No crank, no start, and no communication with PCM

My dumb luck was bad in that it caused a problem. I dropped the fuse when I was checking it in the dark, and once I found it, put it in the wrong slot. On the other hand, I wouldn't have looked into the MFS had I not made that mistake, and the connections in the MFS were a mess.

According to the factory service manual, there was a major change in the Central Junction Box (fuse panel) as of 2/18/02. Only about 40% or so of the fuses are the same. Before 2/18/02, fuse 19 was for the PCM. After that date, fuse 10 was for the PCM. Rechecking the Vehicle Summary for both trucks, my '02 has a build date of Aug 1, 2002 and the '01 has a build date of Dec 4, 2000, so it's the '02 that has to be one of the last of the model year. It won't start if I pull Fuse 10. We already know the '01 won't start without Fuse 19.

"year model" can be misleading, why I learned to take the VIN # to the auto parts store. We were up in Alturas, CA and my alternater was starting to make a bearing sound so I asked the parts guy if he had one for a 94 Ford Aerostar, said sure. I go to the motel take the alt out and go to the parts store and lay it on the counter. Guy says that's a 95 part and he doesn't have that. Ordering up there is long and I want the use so I just reinstalled the alternator and left the belt just a hair looser than it was. Worked fine noise gone , replaced it some years later and the shop said that one is hard to get wound up with a Boch (German) that has worked fine for 10 years.

Back