Some advice or a second opinion please! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Some advice or a second opinion please!

jstrick01

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfax, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Eddie Bauer
Hello,
For the past couple of months, I have been putting almost a gallon of antifreeze into the radiator every 10 days or so. I took it to a shop today and they ran a coolant system check and pressure test. They discovered that it appears the antifreeze is "seeping" through the engine block? They said this is likely due to a hairline crack in the block or the actual block has become more porous, possibly due to metal degradation? I'm not a mechanic (obviously), but does this make sense? I don't have any white smoke when I start the truck in the AM and there is no pooling or leaking under the truck each day, so the coolant has to be going somewhere.

Their recommendation was that I likely will need a new or rebuilt engine!!! For reference, I have a 2003 Explorer (Eddie Bauer edition) with approximately 151,000 miles on it. Does anyone out there have a second opinion or some advice on how I might prolong the life of the truck in it's current state?

Thanks in advance for any advice or opinions...

V6 or V8?

Sorry about that.... guess that would help. It's a V8

Does not make complete sense, no.

One gallon every ten days would leave a trail somewhere, you just have to find it. If a porous block is the shop's answer, have them show you where the coolant is going to - the valley, the deck? the combustion chambers?

This should be trackable.

Have you done a 100% full engine, body underside, and heater box inspections? I have a Volvo with the "white block" aluminum engine which are known for porous blocks in a few of the mid0-90s model years, but you can always find where the coolant is going. I have not heard of the 4.6L having a porous block problem, but I'm assuming that you have kept the cooling system maintained.

Have you checked your oil for coolant contamination, and have you checked your exhaust system or plugs for coolant contamination?

The coolant is either leaking out (will leave a puddle somewhere), is burning up in the cylinders (typically a head gasket leak and can be detected), or is leaking into the oiling system. No other rational choices.

One gallon every ten days is a concern and needs to get fixed. Good luck.

One final question, can you narrow it down to standing or driving conditions that result in the coolant use?

Back