Some common sense when rebuilding your starter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Some common sense when rebuilding your starter

Willard

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ranger Edge
So, I thought I would share a little information with you guys that I learned the hard way.

Story goes like this:

So a few months ago my starter quit working. Ok, so I rebuilt the starter with new brushes and cleaned the stator off some for a good contact surface. Slapped it back together real quick and it worked. So I though, awesome, something I won't have to worry about for awhile.

Then, just recently, it quick working again. Wonderful. My thoughts were that I lost the whole thing, and it was time to fork out the cash for a new starter. I knew both the solenoids were working fine, power was getting to the starter, but it just wasn't turning. So I tore it apart again for kicks.

This is where some pictures would be helpful, but I didn't think to get any. I was in a rush since I needed my truck. Anyways, everything looked fine. So I figured maybe I should clean it this time and reassemble and see what happens. So I cleaned everything. I cleaned the stator off well with solvent, cleaned off the housing, magnets, brushes, gears, and the whole mechanism. EVERYTHING.

I reassembled it all, and lo and behold, IT WORKED!!!

I'm sharing this story with everyone just to remind you, that if you are going to rebuild your starter, make sure and clean EVERYTHING off well before reassembling it. It sits under your truck and gets all those oil leaks, mud, water, and road grime on it.

This is common sense to many of us, including me when rebuilding something, but I didn't do it this time.

I'll also say that most likely, when the starter fails, a set of brushes, a cleaning, and maybe a new solenoid and you have a good chance of getting it going again, for much less than a new starter, and just a half an hour or so of extra work. It's very easy.

So that's my story everyone, please learn from this mistake that cost me valuable time and losing my truck for a night and having to tow it back home in the morning.

Happy Exploring. :D

Back