Shorting out starters - 95 Explorer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shorting out starters - 95 Explorer.

morg43

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
The other day I got the infamous 'click' so long story short, I bought a new battery whcih didn't fix the problem so I replaced the starter. Upon replacing the starter I was able to crank and drive it 5 miles home. 15 minutes later it wasnt starting again. So I repeated the process thinking that may have been given a faulty starter, but after replacing with another starter; the exact same thing happened again. It would run for a while and then after I drove it a few miles I would get nothing. So before I fry my 3rd starter...does anyone have any suggestions of what to try to find the cause of this?

I'm having the same problem with my 97 explorer. Changed the battery and starter but neither solved the problem. I can start the engine with a jump start and drive it fine, but as soon as I shut off the engine I can't start it again. (I hated change 1 starter and you changed 2... ugh!)

I'm going to remove the alternator tonight after work and take it down to Auto Zone to have them check it out... hopefully that will be the problem. My wife wants her car back!

@scottbagrie2001 - Have you had your battery tested? Sounds like you might have a bad cell.

But yeah - this is my wife's car too. Adds a bit of urgency. The difference is with mine, I cant even start it with a jump. When I did have it started I was getting the flywheel noise, which sounds like someone is trying to start it while it is running. This tells me that the starter is getting a signal to re-engage so evidently the current is not being regulated. Does anyone know if this could be a bad solonoid?

It's a brand new battery, shiny terminals and all.... I also cleaned the cable terminals on the wire harness.

Back