Some questions from a prospective owner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Some questions from a prospective owner

JasonSnake

Reaction score
City, State
St Petersburg FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
Looking
Hi guys.

I'm new here and I am looking for a 99-01 E.B. with V8 / sunroof. Reason being, I like the round foglights and steering wheel that matches the interior color.

1) Are there any differences between 99, 00 and 01, drivetrain/interior/exterior?

2) What are the common problems with the specified years?

3) I am afraid to buy a 4x4 since I don't want inherant problems/maintenance/extra noise that comes with something I'm not going to use. Should I be afraid of this or is the 4x4 drivetrain reliable?

4) What are some things I should check when looking at an Explorer?

Thanks! I hope I posted this in the right place.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess no one can help me? Let me know if I am posting in the wrong place. I'm new to this forum.

I'm pretty new to Explorers, but not Fords. I can offer a little bit of insight, and maybe someone will build on it.

I believe pretty much everything stayed the same from 99-01.

Some common problems you may be looking at are sagging leaf springs, some interior door handle issues (plastic gear breaking inside), the radio losing its display, and a few others. Really all minor fixes for a driveway mechanic.

I dont know of any V8 with actual 4x4. I think they were all AWD. Again I'm not positive on this.

Overall I love mine. One of the best purchases I've ever made.

Ditto...if its a V-8 its going to be an AWD, not 4x4. I haven't had any problems with my thus far (V8 Mounty) and I used to drive a 4x4 4.0 '99 explorer as a work vehicle and it never had 4x4 problems.

Common problems? I agree with the radio problem, I had to replace my radio with the 6 disc in dash changer I pulled from my '03 Mustang...my work vehicle always had problems with the auto shifter, the linkage was always coming loose or breaking, eventually had to replace the column. RUST is a huge problem in these Fords as well, depends on where you live though.

2 wheel drive

It is my experience that 2 wheel drive Explorers with the V8 are less common but also less expensive to purchase. You will get better fuel economy with 2WD due to less weight and friction. Your auto insurance will probably be less expensive. As you pointed out, maintenance will be less expensive and less complicated.

The 5.0L/4R70W is rugged and reliable. I believe the overdrive is the weakest gear in the transmission. Make sure to test drive on the highway and watch for a blinking OD light which is a transmission problem indicator.

Thanks a million, guys.

Yes, I've become aware since I've started looking around that the RWD's are harder to find so I may end up with an AWD at the end. There's one I found that I like a lot but have not looked at it in person yet. I've e-mailed the seller yesterday but haven't heard anything yet.

How can one tell if it's an AWD or RWD by just looking at pictures? It's a 99 Eddie Bauer with everything I've been looking for but unsure if it's All or Rear.

Also, how does the AWD handle in performance situations on the street? Or is that better suited for off-road? Does it come with different gearing?

A RWD will sit lower in the front end, you can compare the gap between the wheel well and the tire or front bumper and the ground to one you know is AWD and see how the rake is.

Crawl under and look for a front driveshaft.

99-01 AWD V8 may be one of the most problem free vehicles in existence. Of course that's an exageration but they are great trucks. My 98 is a work truck so I beat the snot out of it. I don't want to jinx myself but you know where I am going w/ this. Check the exhaust manifold. Very common for them to crack and you'll hear the ticking upon acceleration until the vehicle warms up. Front drive shaft is a common issue but only after 100k+ miles. I sell quite a few. The D35 IFS and 8.8 are very strong differentials. Transmission is great and the transfer cases last quite a while and are cheap to repair/replace. My radio has been dim since I got it but I don't see it worth replacing. I've got some rust on my rear bumper which seems common in NJ as I look at everyone else's bumper. Other than that, there's nothing I can think of that you really need to worry about.

I have the truck you are looking for except mine is an AWD sho fighter and you need a rwd and my steering wheel is black but I do like the peanut butter interior. I have the steering wheel with 14 buttons on it and I also see the same wheel in high line Lincoln automobiles, not the baseliners.

Anyway good luck in your search and I agree with some of the most durable vehicles out there, or darn close to it. Most brand V8=:thumbsup:

Here are the pictures of the one I'm interested in. I haven't heard back from the seller yet and he/she never posted a phone number. I really hope it's still up for sale.

I'm going to guess that it's an AWD...

3k63o33p45O35Y65V2aad4a0dfb81ad6e19f2.jpg

3kb3oe3l85Y15Z55Q3aad1a3a1f22058b1741.jpg

3k73p83l15V05U65R1aadb9da96bc7b7e1e94.jpg

No exterior badge denoting AWD on the later model second gen Exploders.
FLA ? I would guess 2wd but it probably has heated seats too. :)

Back