Some underside protection

SGR1600

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
Chappaqua, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4X4 SOHC
Well now that I have completed the first two steps (lift/tires and engine performance) I will be turning my attention to getting some protection from the trail under the truck. Note, I'm not 100% done with steps one and two, just the initial phases.

As for my new project, I plan on doing some custom work. I would like to get some sliders and a skid plate for the front. The skid plate I inted to measure and design myself and the have the steel cut and bent at my local metal fab shop.

For the sliders, I have some options. I like the tube sliders like the ones CoryL makes, and I may just try to order some of them from him. I would like to think about doing them myself too, but we'll have to see.

I just wanted to get my thread for this project started, I'll post back with some more specific plans as they arise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I took some initial measurments for my skid plate today. It looks like it will be 16" along the crossmember and 32" from frame rail to frame rail. Should do me some good when I plow into those big snow banks :p

Next step will be to figue out what angle and where I want bends. Then draw up the plan and get the steel cut. It will be 1/4" steel, no messin around.

Sounds interesting. I look forward to seeing the plate design and install.

how much does CoryL charge for these tube steps/sliders, how long does he usually take, nebody really happy with these that have them?

i've been thinking bout just buying some Westin Signature series nerf bars then having 1/4 steel welded across the bottom to give added protection, does anyone wheel with just nerf bars, do they hold up?
-thanks

CoryL's website is: www.crlcustoms.com you can look at stuff he's done on some explorers from this site as well as get prices. He does VERY good work, all of his customers will tell you.

I dropped off my plans for the skid plate today, so the cut and bent 1/4" steel plate should be ready to pick up on Monday. Here's basicly the drawing of what it is:

Attachments

• skid plate.jpg
    skid plate.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 720

sorry to dig up such an old thread, but did you ever post/find out the angles that was bent into the steel?

thanks,

Davis

my skid plate has 60* bend in it i believe. its 1/4" aluminium so i have some play when bolting it on so it doesnt have to be exact.
22646mytruck58.jpg

p.s. dont mind all the crappy welds... it was my first project that i ever made for the explorer and i was just learning how to weld... so thats why all my horizontals look droopy.

Back