Something New | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Something New

We'll call it... SubarEx?

Started a new project for my boss, since he's supposedly coming to Moab this year with us. Can anyone figure out what it is??? Will post progress as it continues as soon as someone figures it out! Really pretty easy if you're observant! The guys at Bandit Customs really got me motivated with their mystery rig, so I'm giving them credit for the inspiration, even though I don't have a clue as to what they built!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 346

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Exactly! But how did you know it was a wagon??

Good guess, yea, 89 awd subaru and 98 awd Ex. Only about 8 inches shorter.

That thing is weird to say the least... Why would they ever spend that much time and money doing that :D

And after all that it doesn't look too good in shape haha

Well, he likes those Subarus and everything is coming from stuff that's just laying around, actually not in bad shape. And by the way, he doesn't even know I'm doing this yet, hopefully he'll be thrilled! It will sit like this but will be dropping the rear closer to the frame and making longer shackles to even it back out. Master cylinder actually bolted right to the Subaru booster and seems like it will work great! Steering is right there, will be super easy, so far it looks like everything is going to be quite easy. I'll probably only be able to sneak in a few hours of work on it every week, but don't think it'll take too long.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 293

That's awesome!
Sooooo... If half the car is a Subaru and the other half is an explorer what make and model do you register it as???

Stays Subaru, I picked an older one so it shouldn't have trouble inspecting it, even though it surely will never get a registration, he will just throw a dealer plate on it when needed.

Fits with a lot of room

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 269

Master cylinder perfect fit

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 274

Made one body mount. Will be welded to front subframe and bolt to existing frame mount.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 261

First set on

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 231

And making next set

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 237

Anyone know why it won't let me put more than one pic up at a time?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 237

Finished these, they bolt to where the rear suspension used to.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 214

Now making rears, these will be welded to subaru frame and bolt to explorer frame

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 207

Body is now fully mounted!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 194

And it steers! So now I need throttle, gear selection, and some wiring to get it running, and I can drive it! Not looking forward to wiring.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 193

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Runs perfect, just gotta tidy up the wiring a bit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 172

Back