Something odd I noticed on my Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Something odd I noticed on my Explorer

Zorin

Reaction score
City, State
Milton, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Does anyone else's Explorer wait for a second or so when turning the key to start to actually begin cranking?

Mine does it, I figured it was just how the system is set up in them.....if it's in the garage, it turns the headlights on when I turn it to ON, then kills them for that second and while it cranks, and as soon as it starts, they come back on.

It never fails to start, and it sounds strong when it does crank, it just has that slight delay, and kicks off the lights when it does it. Normal behaviour on these?

Thanks!

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I notice a slight delay in mine (a '10 model), but not a full second. Also, my auto headlamps come on in the garage as well, but do not turn off while cranking as you described.

OK, thanks! Looks like I may have a little electrical investigating to do.

Tim

on the 2010's they pause because they have that smart start auto crank feature "bump the key once and let off and it takes over and starts" ....my 2007 cranks instantly when key is turned and stops when i turn key back..... try to bump the key once and let off and see if it starts.... maybe the previous owner knew how to install this over from the 2010 parts

Most cars cut power to the headlamps when starting to allow full amperage to the starter.

actually just about all cars "I saw just about because there is always an exception" cut power to everything while cranking so If the headlights are the only thing on while cranking its closer to finding an issue..... I wish I could get my radio to stay on while its cranking

actually just about all cars "I saw just about because there is always an exception" cut power to everything while cranking so If the headlights are the only thing on while cranking its closer to finding an issue..... I wish I could get my radio to stay on while its cranking
Run a power from the battery(or from a distribution block from an amp) switched power of your head unit. Almost always the red wire. If you have the stock radio the same would work, you'd just have to tap into the factory harness.

Run a power from the battery(or from a distribution block from an amp) switched power of your head unit. Almost always the red wire. If you have the stock radio the same would work, you'd just have to tap into the factory harness.

with my accessory retention mod if you run any power into the radio all accessories retain power indefinitely I would need resistors and diodes so its not worth it.... just gotta wait for bluetooth to reconnect

Using a seal in on a relay?

I found my problem.....even though I cleaned them, it appears that I have a flaky battery terminal - my positive terminal is in less than stellar condition, and not making the greatest of connections. So, I need to source some new terminals, or possibly entire new cabling. I'm not a great fan of the parts store crap, and the originals lasted this long, so I need to see what I can find.

Tim

Back