Sony CDXM8805X MP3 CD Car Deck Any Good? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sony CDXM8805X MP3 CD Car Deck Any Good?

Private_Joker

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has either the:

CDXM8805X MP3 CD Car Deck
or the
Sony CDX-M8800

And what you think about them?
Does it become annoying not to have the buttons on the face plate immediately available?
Does the motorized face continue to function...

Any car deck recommendations?

Thanks,
PJ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, right here you started a thread on a Pioneer head unit. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109184
Did you change your mind from pioneer to sony? If you want advice on getting a good head unit, then get an Alpine, Clarion, or a Kenwood. That is my opinion only and no one elses. Sony makes great TV's and home equipment, but I leave them alone when it comes to car audio. There is only so much you can be great at. Now if you want me to pin point a Head Unit for you, then get this Alpine head unit, you won't be sorry.
21512cda-9835.gif
It's the new 9835 model and someone else here got it and love it. It's a great start to any system. That is my 2 cent opinion.

Yes, I did change my mind about Pioneer..

Hi,
Thanks for the response.
Yes, I did change my mind about the pioneer DEH-P-4600MP.
I took a look at it in the store - a brand new one - the volume button on the left side seems soo loose it feels like it will fall off any minute!! no kidding!
It was rediculous. I just couldn't buy it because it seems like it will fall apart the first day.

Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look at this Alpine!

BBQ_HotDogs said:
Well, right here you started a thread on a Pioneer head unit. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109184
Did you change your mind from pioneer to sony? If you want advice on getting a good head unit, then get an Alpine, Clarion, or a Kenwood. That is my opinion only and no one elses. Sony makes great TV's and home equipment, but I leave them alone when it comes to car audio. There is only so much you can be great at. Now if you want me to pin point a Head Unit for you, then get this Alpine head unit, you won't be sorry.
21512cda-9835.gif
It's the new 9835 model and someone else here got it and love it. It's a great start to any system. That is my 2 cent opinion.

Any Other Suggestions!!! Common Guys!!

Any other suggestions regarding cd decks???!!!!
The Alpine mentioned above is great but too expensive (especially in Canada)...actually I can't even find it, but looking at US prices...

ANYBODY RECOMMEND OR TELL ME WHAT THEY HAVE BOUGHT?
OR SHOULD I JUST BUY ANY SYSTEM AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS?...

Thanks in Advance,
PJ

i just bought this Clarion off ebay, alot cheaper than crutchfield. a little pricey still, but its top of the line. touchscreen and all:

8559h020DXZ945.jpg

Off ebay!? -- big risk?

You bought it off eBay - What would you do if it didn't work?

alphabets13 said:
i just bought this Clarion off ebay, alot cheaper than crutchfield. a little pricey still, but its top of the line. touchscreen and all:

8559h020DXZ945.jpg

My opinion

I think it is crazy from looking at getting a pioneer to getting a sony. Some people do say that the new sony HU's are better than the past couple years models, but dont know from experience. Also the Pioneer you looked at in the store was prolly a display model that has been sitting there since the store got it in there first shipment of them and the other people looking at it have prolly not taken care of it at all like you prolly would if you owned it. Pioneer is a good quality HU and I've never seen on just fall apart and they usually last a preety good while.

Private_Joker said:
You bought it off eBay - What would you do if it didn't work?
it is brand new in box. it has manufacturers warranty and seller warranties it up to 60 days, no questions asked. it seems to be a reputable seller with lots of positive feedback. not a noob seller.

who did you buy it from and for how much?

I had a new Sony HU and had ZERO problems. It sounded real good, very close to my Alpine. People rag on Sony HU's but the mid-high range are very good. I'm gonna be getting that Alpine CDA-9835 very soon.

nonameputs said:
who did you buy it from and for how much?
the seller runs his business on ebay, it's called finest deals. he has a website too. i got the reciever brand new and a free sirius sattelite tuner shipped for $450. crutchfield wants $700 for the HU alone. pretty crazy deal.

I got my cdx-f5700 sony hu for about 200. I would place it somewhere in the mid range of hu's. It works very nicely for what I want it to do; I have no complaints. But I definately think that alpine is top of the line for head units. I know 2 guys that have them and they do work amazingly well. One guy has his in a truck and drives around on rough rough back country texas roads and I have never seen it skip (mine never skips on the highway driving or any of that, but I can make it skip when I drive around in the outback, or if I hit a BIG pothole).

I will probably get one of the alpine's that integrate with the ipod at some point, that feature is just too cool :p

As far as pioneer/sony is concerned, I know 3 people that are a bit older than me, best friends, and they all got the same pioneer model like 2 years ago. It cost them like 200 bucks. They gave me crap when I told them I was getting a sony (not to mention my sony subs) but when I came and showed them what I had done and how it all worked they could not help but agree that it was pretty nice. My sony works at least as well as their pioneers. The subs, while they don't hit as hard as this guy's kickers, do hit as well as another friend's JL w0's, if not harder.

So yes, there are things out there that are better than sony, but they are usually more expensive. You get what you pay for, but for the money you spend on sony, you are getting some pretty good stuff.

The cdx-f5700 is a cool HU too (although still $300 in Canada) lol.

I am sorta surprised about the difference in the subs. I thought sony would be better!..

ALSO - Re: Alpine integrating with iPod:
Can't you plug in your MP3 player to HU's with auxillary inputs??
Please tell me if I'm wrong about this - I thought you could if your HU has aux inputs...

Thanks,
PJ

icu400 said:
I got my cdx-f5700 sony hu for about 200. I would place it somewhere in the mid range of hu's. It works very nicely for what I want it to do; I have no complaints. But I definately think that alpine is top of the line for head units. I know 2 guys that have them and they do work amazingly well. One guy has his in a truck and drives around on rough rough back country texas roads and I have never seen it skip (mine never skips on the highway driving or any of that, but I can make it skip when I drive around in the outback, or if I hit a BIG pothole).

I will probably get one of the alpine's that integrate with the ipod at some point, that feature is just too cool :p

As far as pioneer/sony is concerned, I know 3 people that are a bit older than me, best friends, and they all got the same pioneer model like 2 years ago. It cost them like 200 bucks. They gave me crap when I told them I was getting a sony (not to mention my sony subs) but when I came and showed them what I had done and how it all worked they could not help but agree that it was pretty nice. My sony works at least as well as their pioneers. The subs, while they don't hit as hard as this guy's kickers, do hit as well as another friend's JL w0's, if not harder.

So yes, there are things out there that are better than sony, but they are usually more expensive. You get what you pay for, but for the money you spend on sony, you are getting some pretty good stuff.

The sony subs are ok, I have the 5 sided red ones. I would compare them to the JL w0 if you have a good amp to go with them (I have the new sony mono sub amp, the one that is not a pentagon...). This guy's kickers are 12's though, and getting much more power than mine, that is why they are better :p

For the record the pentagon sonys are way better than the circles. Another guy has those, gives them about 150 rms and mine blow them out of the water (250 rms each on mine, give or take since sony over estimates the numbers, or so I am told).

Does anyone have the first mentioned style of Sony HU's???

I'd like to know what they think. I looked at JVC with PICT, but they have some limitations regarding turning 'flashy' stuff off, and I'd like to know what people think of thier Sony's with the buttonless faces!

Thanks,
PJ

I have met a guy that had one of those. His was pretty much the same model but from a few years back. He liked it a lot. Actually it was in his civic when it got totalled, survived the crash and he loaned it to another guy who also likes it, till he gets a new car.

Just go try it out in the store, its all about whether you like it or not.

Yes, but I'd like to know if people get bored of the fixed images and animations (since they can't be changed)!

Do YOU get bored of your HU's graphics??? :roll: :roll: :roll: :bounce:

Well, though mine does have graphics, and changes color (cdx-f5700 model) I really don't watch it a whole lot since I spend most of my time driving.... I think style and looks are important though, so after you pick what has the best quality of sound and functionality (which that hu certainly has) then it is up to taste to choose what has the best looks.

Like I said, I don't have that same model, but the guy I met that did liked it, thats about the only testimony I have. If you want to know if you will get bored, you could always stare at it for 15 minutes at the store and see what happens. Best of luck.

i just bought the exact model pioneer you were looking at, so far i love it. i'm not into the crazy graphics and whatnot so i started off looking at the sonys cause they're simple but went with the pioneer because more wattage and better sound, i could actualy hear a difference between the sonys and the pioneer. enjoy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My last 3 cars have had Alpine HUs and my girlfriend has an alpine. Ive always been very happy with the product. You'll find alot of people love different brands because thats the one they have had the best luck with. I have seen that Panasonic has come up the last 3 years with some good HUs.

Back