• Register Today It's free!

sounds like blown speakers

AWDexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
columbus ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 xlt awd 5.0
hey guys, im new to the site! i have a 1997 xlt... i put all new pioneer 6x8 2 ways in rear and new 5x7 3 ways in front. i have the chameleon sony deck. ive had them in for a few months now, but it sounds like the speakers on the driver side are blown, so i went and got new ones, now regardless of what speaker i have in there, even brand new, they sound blown. do u think it has something to do with the wiring, deck speaker outputs, or what? i know its not the speakers, and im running out of ideas. let me know what u guys think.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check your HU and all the settings on it. if it has a built-in crossover u might be filtering the signals to the speakers. other than that i'd check all my connections and make sure you have good connections at ground.

sounds like you have one of the speakers out of phase....Check the wiring and make sure you have the positive to positive and negative to negative on both sides. If there out of phase the speakers are canceling the bass from each other.....

Did you bypass the factory amp??

Polarity doesn't much matter on coaxial's.
Sounds like a loose connection to me. I'd check behind the HU and inspect the connections to the harness.
Good luck man!

from a glance, i saw no loose wires or anything from behind the unit to the speakers.. i traced it to the best of my ability and saw no damage or bad wiring... i will check to see if they are all isntalled correctly, pos to pos and neg to neg, but if thats fine, any suggestions? my plan, if i cant solve it easily, was to run all the speakers from a seperate amp instead of from the HU, which would solve the prob and sound a bit better hopefully. anyone else had this prob? thanks for all ur help so far guys...

Wrote in wrong post sorry....

No normally if you do wire one coax out of phase from the rest sometimes that does make it sound like its blown. I'd try unhooking each speaker from the HU and hooking them all up one by one. Might have a loose connection wire somewhere...how are the wires hooked up?? is it factory wiring from the HU to the speakers or was seperate wires ran for the speaker.

DRellMSU

a buddy of mine did it for me, its seperate wiring. and hes not a pro... lol, ut i will try the one by one idea. thanks alot

Back