SPAL Electric fan control module | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SPAL Electric fan control module

trucku

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Queens, New York and living in Budd Lake, NJ now.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS 4.0 4x4
Just wanted to post a great piece of equipment I just bought.
I have wanted to get rid of my clutch driven radiator fan and have recently bought a Perma Cool 16" fan from eBay. It has over 2900 CFM with a 9.5amp draw. That low draw is good because I still have my stock alternator.
I have been searching for a method to control the fan. I am not too fond of putting a probe in the radiator although it works very well. I wanted the most accurate reading and operation of my electric fan. One distributor of a probed fan control module suggested I put a hole in my radiator hose and insert the probe and seal it. I wanted system that and either use its own mountable sensor or can tap into my current sending unit. I found 2 that I liked a lot. The first one is from Digital Dakota
I really like this one, but I was concerned about it being a bit exposed to the elements.
The second one I found was from http://spalusa.com/ automatic programmable fan controller. I bought it off of eBay for 80 shipped but later found site that would have sent it for 70 shipped...lol
In any case I like its sealed construction and very weather proof. It’s basically the same as the digital Dakota without a digital readout.
What I like about these units is that you need to buy nothing else. They are ready to go, with no need for separate relays for cooling and AC.

I plan to install my Perma cool 16" fan #19115 and the new fan controller SPAL FAN-PWM in a week or 2.

I hope to jump on the better mileage wagon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Be sure and post how the installation goes. I too have been looking at the mod.

Dave

will do...gonna get my elite account so I can post the pics.

I will make sure to get good before and after pics. To accurately track my water temperature, I will be using a Sunpro Gauge. I will install its sending unit right next to my factory sending unit. So my temperature reading will be directly from engine side of the thermostat.

aldive said:
Any updates?

Have been sidetracked with some major family events. Looking to do the install within next few weeks. My remote filters (engine and tranny) are aslo on my plate. Each install will have pics followed by a write up. I have been hoping to do install in father inlaws driveway, but looks like it will come down to me working on the truck in the street in front of my house.

Soon to come...sorry for delay guys/gals.
V

Back