spare tire questions now that im up to 33"s | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

spare tire questions now that im up to 33"s

Personally I wouldn't take the chance but the tire circumference is the main issue. There is only about an inch difference at the most (depending on tread depth's of the two) so you could probably use it to limp it off the trail or back to the tire shop to get replaced. If you have a locker or bigger gears I wouldn't even try it, JMO.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the advice. I have a few extra 33s lying around. I think that I'll just mount one of them to an old rim and use that instead of the 285, just to be safe.
By the way, I'd love to see the tire carrier that you built. I have a swing away on my Jeep CJ and love it. It'd be great to have one on my Ex too. I've often thought about fabbing one up.

Check out my thread titled "Time to get my bed back, building my swing out tire carrier...", there's a bunch of pictures there.

bump, anyone get a 33 in the original spare loaction, already cut the 'tongue' but could only fit a 31 with my hidden hitch, thinking about going to a different hitch.

not worried about clearance issues..im soa and the spare i have is the 5th in my set.

bump, anyone get a 33 in the original spare loaction, already cut the 'tongue' but could only fit a 31 with my hidden hitch, thinking about going to a different hitch.

not worried about clearance issues..im soa and the spare i have is the 5th in my set.

I shoved a 32 (per the tape measure) in there but it did not pull all of the way up
It is just under there until I build a combo toolbox tire holder

Yeah you can fit a 33". I've had both a 12.5 and 10" width.

sweet, thanks for the quick reply, is that with or without a hitch

[MENTION=22524]theluke19[/MENTION] has a 33" stuffed under his bed with a hitch.

Yes - mine is a Curt hitch. When I first started putting it in there, I had to lower the PSI of the tire - but the past year or so I haven't been having to.. Not really sure why lol.

If you're able to get a10.5" width tire then get it. It doesn't hang past the bumper like a 12.5" would.

I'm running 16s Which work out to 11.5 wide. Il be on the lookout for a different hitch then, my hidden hitch is tucked underneath and taking up room

Back