• Register Today It's free!

spare tire removed for donut

04 xlt 4x4

Reaction score
City, State
thomasville, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 xlt 4x4
looking to take out full size spare to put in donut spare so I can fit dual exhaust tips. If I need to use the donut will it affect the all wheel drive?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes, I believe driving your truck with one tire significantly smaller than the others will definetly mess up your drivetrain. I think others have fit the duels with the spare do a quick search.

I have seen many 3rd gens with dual exhaust and a spare tire.

I wouldn't recomend anything by a full size tire if you have control trac, AWD or an LSD. Slight size difference is ok for short distances.

IAmTodd said:
I wouldn't recomend anything by a full size tire if you have control trac, AWD or an LSD. Slight size difference is ok for short distances.
100% agreee

donut

that is what I thought. I have gone to two muffler shops and both said I would need to take out the spare. Not crazy about that. I have not seen
any locally with it done.
And the explorers online that I have seen I email'd and asked if they could take a pic of how they have it done but never heard back...
Well thanks for the input

They are lazy. They have to bend the pipes with more precision because of the spare, but I guess that isn't worth it to them.

Find another shop. They're not worth your money!

04 xlt 4x4 said:
looking to take out full size spare to put in donut spare so I can fit dual exhaust tips. If I need to use the donut will it affect the all wheel drive?

Are you looking for Dual from the Muffler or Just Tipos? I have been to 2 shops, there is no room for True Duals. I hve put on Tips. Just for the look... Non functional

exhaust

Looking for them to splice in after the axle and go infront of the spare.

Back