• Register Today It's free!

Spark plug hole

Luis.18

Reaction score
City, State
Yonkers, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
I recently changed the spark plugs on my 04 explorer v6 . I noticed the old spark plugs had i lot of rust corrosion on them. When putting in the new sparkplugs it felt like rust was inside the hole too because they felt really hard to screw in. Is there a way to clean the hole where the spark plugs go in?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was it all of them? I can’t imagine any good way to clean it without dumping some crust in the cylinders.

Aren’t your heads aluminum?

I’d put anti-seize on them and forget about them for 50- 75k.

Was it all of them? I can’t imagine any good way to clean it without dumping some crust in the cylinders.

Aren’t your heads aluminum?

I’d put anti-seize on them and forget about them for 50- 75k.
Yes it was in all of them 🤔 I didn't put anti-seize since i read that it's not recomended. Should I put anti-seize?

Differing opinion on it, unfortunately. One of the positives is that it will help against dissimilar metals corrosion. Some people think that the anti seize will make it more likely to spit the spark plugs. I’ve always used it, and never had an issue. I’m very careful with plug torque.

If your confident you didn’t cross thread them (very unlikely to mess up all 6) you’re probably fine as they are.

Differing opinion on it, unfortunately. One of the positives is that it will help against dissimilar metals corrosion. Some people think that the anti seize will make it more likely to spit the spark plugs. I’ve always used it, and never had an issue. I’m very careful with plug torque.

If your confident you didn’t cross thread them (very unlikely to mess up all 6) you’re probably fine as they are.
I should probably use some anti-seize.
Do you know the torque spec for the spark plugs?

Do you think that if i crossed thread them it will cause the engine to shake ? Beacause that's whats happening now with my explorer.

I’d think it very unlikely to cross thread all 6. It’s more likely that the wires were damaged pulling them off the plugs. If it’s shaking badly I’d be concerned the order wasn’t right.

I’d think it very unlikely to cross thread all 6. It’s more likely that the wires were damaged pulling them off the plugs. If it’s shaking badly I’d be concerned the order wasn’t right.
I did change the wires, i put new ones. If i put a wrong wire will that be the cause for the shaking?

Swapping the plug wires will make it run pretty poorly. Get a diagram of the coils. I’m not sure about the SOHC, but the OHV plug wire order isn’t intuitive.

I believe they are both the same, though.

Swapping the plug wires will make it run pretty poorly. Get a diagram of the coils. I’m not sure about the SOHC, but the OHV plug wire order isn’t intuitive.

I believe they are both the same, though.
I was just looking at it like 1 min ago 😄🤔. So i will check that. Thanks ✌

Back