• Register Today It's free!

Stripped spark plug hole

94Fexplorerxlt

Reaction score
City, State
VA beach VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer XLT
I accidentally stripped spark plug hole #4 on my 2008 XLT 4.0 V6. Anyways I managed to get the plug in enough where its running normal but I want to get it fixed. Ive heard of the rethreading kits/inserts, just curious do most mechanics shops use these? I don't want them to have to remove the head.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are plenty of quality inserts for plugs out there but they are for mostly for ford modular v8s. The 4.0 has like 9 threads so rarely has issues. Did you get the new plug to seat all the way in?

There are plenty of quality inserts for plugs out there but they are for mostly for ford modular v8s. The 4.0 has like 9 threads so rarely has issues. Did you get the new plug to seat all the way in?

I got it all but around a 1/4 inch or so compared to the other plugs. It's in there good ,I doubt it will come out and its driving just fine but I want to get it fixed so I dont have to worry about it.

You know I noticed alot of grease around the hole so I'm thinking it hadn't been installed right by the previous owner,possibly loose and it had blown out a little ways because I've never had any issues changing plugs before.

I'm going to drive it the next few days and call myechanic and see what he says. Hopefully they can rethread it without removing head. I'll let y'all know what happens.

I accidentally stripped spark plug hole #4 on my 2008 XLT 4.0 V6. Anyways I managed to get the plug in enough where its running normal but I want to get it fixed. Ive heard of the rethreading kits/inserts, just curious do most mechanics shops use these? I don't want them to have to remove the head.
There is a know issue with this in some Explorers. You may want to look into this issue further.

This is the first time I hear about this and 4.0 SOHC.
3v tritons have its issues with 2 piece spark plugs, pre 2003 tritons had issues with the spark plugs blowing out and stripping threads, but 4.0 v6 ? Someone must have cross threaded or something in the past.
But what do I know ?

Back