• Register Today It's free!

Spark Plug Question

djleatherb15

Reaction score
City, State
New Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello, I just bought some Denso PK16TT spark plugs and I gapped them at 0.054 but the plugs are gapped at 0.040 is it okay that I gapped them? Are these plugs good or not?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You got the gap right. I've never used those, so all I can say is try 'em. These don't really need extravagant plugs, platinum Autolites or Motorcrafts are what I use. Copper is ok, too.

Turns out the ones that I got don't need to be gapped as they are already gapped when they leave the factory. Now I get to take them all out again and regap them to factory settings.

NEVER follow that "pre gapped" BS. Other engines using the same plug have different gaps. A bump on the snout changes gaps too.

I gap every plug, and always have. I have never once trusted pre-gapped plugs. I think .054-.056 is the gap range, but I could be wrong.

Gapping is good but on the platinum ones, be careful, you need to use the proper tool to adjust the gap and not pry on the platinum tips.

Gapping is good but on the platinum ones, be careful, you need to use the proper tool to adjust the gap and not pry on the platinum tips.

I never knew that, but then again I've never bought a platinum plug before. I run standard plugs without issue in every engine I own. Its good to learn new things. Can you still tap them to close the gap on platinum's?

I never knew that, but then again I've never bought a platinum plug before. I run standard plugs without issue in every engine I own. Its good to learn new things. Can you still tap them to close the gap on platinum's?

Yea, that's fine, you just don't get a good amount of control that way. A lot of people will say that you can't gap them but it's BS. Just be gentle and don't try to jam/wedge something against the platinum spots.

Back