Spark Plug Replacement | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spark Plug Replacement

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I picked up some plugs the other day at autozone - got the motorcraft ones. So these aren't gapped for my truck and I'll have to gap them?

Also, should I go ahead and pick up the wire set? I have a 2005 with about 72500 miles on it. I think I should be getting the tranny flushed pretty soon, too.

Defnitely gap (or at least check the gap) on new plugs. A wire type gap tool is far more accurate than the little coin-shaped "ramp" gauges too.

Never flush a tranny...A pan drop/filter change/refill is fine, but flushing tends to do more damage than good. Others have done flushes with good results, but in my experience, about 50% of the vehicles serviced are worse a couple weeks later than they were before getting it done.

Your wires (if original Motorcraft) are probably still decent yet. These are some of the best OEM wires I've ever seen. I'd probably run them till 100K or even longer. I plan on replacing mine when it starts to miss under load. Who knows how long that'll be...I'm about one tank of fuel away from 100K, and it still runs like the day I bought it, if not even better.

Never flush a tranny...A pan drop/filter change/refill is fine, but flushing tends to do more damage than good. Others have done flushes with good results, but in my experience, about 50% of the vehicles serviced are worse a couple weeks later than they were before getting it done.

I completely disagree. That is your opinion, not fact.

I have flushed ever vehicle that I have owned in recent years without any issues whatsoever.

We've been thru this once...Multiple vehicles with the same symptom is more than opinion.

Like I mentioned before...If you put your hand on a hot stove and burn it, it doesn't take more than once to caution another person against doing the same thing.

If it worked for you, great...Problem is, for the average Joe Schmoe, it's like flipping a coin as to whether or not it's going to yield the same results.

Multiple vehicles with the same symptom is more than opinion.

Is this on your used car lot? Maybe not the best location for a valad sample.

If it worked for you, great...Problem is, for the average Joe Schmoe, it's like flipping a coin as to whether or not it's going to yield the same results.

What are you basing that on? Data from a used car lot, or real world.

I'm with Al,

That's definately your opinion on the trans flush...

Also, I just changed my plugs this week, definately took about 3.5 hours, no joke, no drumroll... better yet, i'm almost completely positive that they were the originals... yeah, with 193,000 miles. On the plus side the truck runs a helluva lot better fixed a broken thermostat too(from 15.4 mpg to ~19 mpg)

Isn't there a difference in how much fluid is actually changed in a drop vs flush? I'm probably going to be paying someone to do this so what should I tell them? I'm hoping my new plugs (along with the KKM filter that I just cleaned after a year) will yield at least a small increase in mpg.

Is this on your used car lot? Maybe not the best location for a valad sample.

What are you basing that on? Data from a used car lot, or real world.

I'm basing that "opinion" on vehicles that we serviced (that didn't necessarily come from our dealership) that have had trannies replaced/rebuilt shortly after having a transmission flush at another place. So, real world as far as I see it.

If flushing works for you, fine. I'll never do it on anything I own though, and I'll be willing to bet my trannies last just as long. I'll never recommend it to a friend or customer either.

Show me proof that flushing a transmission increases its useful service life as opposed to just regularly changing the filter and fluid in the pan. Flush services are just money-making gimmicks that the shops use to increase profits. If people want to fall for them, that's their business. I prefer to keep my money in my pocket though.

Do you change all of the oil in your engine? How about your diffs?

No...Both still have a little residual oil when they're drained. Have you ever pulled an engine out after draining all the oil out of the pan and see how much more still comes out once it's on the stand being disassembled?

I do see your point, but ask yourself this...How did trannies last as long as they did before flush services were invented? People weren't dropping transmissions every 60,000 miles just because there was a little old fluid still left in the convertor. If a person changes their fluid and filter every 40-50k like they should, then flushing is a totally moot point, IMHO.

I'll be changing my plugs this weekend, I am far from being a mechanic and only have a few tools. I will post my fun when I finish... Also the fuel filter was a real pain enen with the tool.

I'll be changing my plugs this weekend, I am far from being a mechanic and only have a few tools. I will post my fun when I finish... Also the fuel filter was a real pain enen with the tool.

Good luck.

Its not too difficult; use the proper tools and take your time.

When you guys say good routine maintenance is to "change your spark plugs" how many do you mean?

I am going to buy some Motorcraft plugs and get them installed elsewhere than a dealership... how many will I need altogether?

4.6L v8 2003 Ford Explorer.

Sorry for the year bump!

Back