• Register Today It's free!

spark plug rusted out?

akinsey

Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Navajo
Anyone had any experience with this sort of thing? I've googled 'til I'm blue and can't find anything about this. :(

I'm looking to buy a F150 (I know, I know, not an Explorer, but I do have my '91 Navajo!) 302 V8 w/123k miles, but one of the spark plugs has virtually rusted away and fallen out of the cylinder. It's still attached to the plug wire, so it's not IN the cylinder...and the truck runs -- but loudly. The seller said 'a mechanic friend' came over and looked at the truck and determined the noise to be the 'donut' between the engine and the manifold. I could believe that if I hadn't seen the plug arcing when the truck was running. He said the noise started about 3 wks ago and that's the last time he drove the truck.

What's the likelihood this is a fatal flaw? Or is it a simple fix--can I try cleaning the threads out and installing another spark plug?

The owner obviously does not take good care of the truck, there are probably hundreds of other things that could be wrong, why buy this truck? And this is not a 911 thread, this is only for people who cannot drive there car and other very serious situations, and your just asking about another car that you might buy?

I would assume a worst case scenario and that the head has to come off. If it's as simple as installing another plug, I suspect the owner would have already done that. There are heli-coil kits that might work, but you need to get a straight shot on the plug hole.

Thanks for both responses. I figured it was a 911 (i.e. undriveable) and for sure a 911 if I bought it.

Back