• Register Today It's free!

Spark plug socket size

Austin77

Reaction score
City, State
Angus,Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 ST Limited
I'm planing on changing the plugs on my 07 ST with a 4.6L V8. Don't worry, I have read the TSB's and understand how to remove the plugs without damaging them!

I tryed a normal 5/8" plug socket on them but it seemed to small.

I was wondering is there a "special" socket that is required?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm planing on changing the plugs on my 07 ST with a 4.6L V8. Don't worry, I have read the TSB's and understand how to remove the plugs without damaging them!

I tryed a normal 5/8" plug socket on them but it seemed to small.

I was wondering is there a "special" socket that is required?

Thanks!

no special tool Its a 9/16" socket, good luck, I have 07 4.6 with 46,000 miles, they creaked all the way out, I warm up my truck just little and squirted PB blaster down in the spark plug holes for 30 mins and they all came out, but made a lot of noise lol, I would hate to see what a 100,000 truck would do :eek:

no special tool Its a 9/16" socket, good luck, I have 07 4.6 with 46,000 miles, they creaked all the way out, I warm up my truck just little and squirted PB blaster down in the spark plug holes for 30 mins and they all came out, but made a lot of noise lol, I would hate to see what a 100,00 truck would do :eek:

That's perfect! Thanks!

Austin I am in the same situation. 107k miles and orginal plugs on my ST Limited that I just bought Friday. Let me know how you do as I plan on trying mine without the special removal tool. I have a DD so if i do break a plug I can wait until I aqquire one. I will play AutoZones $20/point game anyway and get two plugs at a time. That way I get a full set for $80 instead of $100.
What has everyone been using for the spray cleaner? I have heard brake cleaner, choke and carb cleaner, WD40, PB Blaster. Anyone know what works best after you unseat the plugs 1/8-1/4 turn?
Thanks

Austin I am in the same situation. 107k miles and orginal plugs on my ST Limited that I just bought Friday. Let me know how you do as I plan on trying mine without the special removal tool. I have a DD so if i do break a plug I can wait until I aqquire one. I will play AutoZones $20/point game anyway and get two plugs at a time. That way I get a full set for $80 instead of $100.
What has everyone been using for the spray cleaner? I have heard brake cleaner, choke and carb cleaner, WD40, PB Blaster. Anyone know what works best after you unseat the plugs 1/8-1/4 turn?
Thanks

I pulled out 7 just fine, I soaked them in carb cleaner for an hour before touch them. I turned all 1/8th a turn then allowed to soak for another 30 min. After that I worked every one for about 1 min each. 7 came out without issues. But the last one I tryed broke in the head. I ended up towing the truck to ford. They charged me $50 to pull it out and put the new one in.

I had the truck engine hot, and also sprayed combustion chamber cleaner and allowed to soak for about an hour! I also coated the new ones in anti-seize! But I will not allow The plugs to stay in for more then 2 years at a time!

Good luck!

I never tried it on spark plugs but I read a while ago that a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF in a spray bottle is the best thing for loosening rusted bolts and nuts. (I saw it on the Internet so it must be true.) It did work very well on shock bolts.

Back