• Register Today It's free!

Spark plugs

jutgin

Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ST
Guys I'm sorry but I still don't know where the spark plugs are. I don't see any wires up top anywhere. Keep in mind I have the 4.6 V8. I'm no mechanic but have been doing stuff like changing my own plugs and wires for 13 years. Anyone have a V8 with a pic pointing to the location???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Edit: wrong image.

Edit

I wish it did but mine looks like that but without the wires there. I can't find them!! Man I feel dumb. Anyone out there in forum world have a V8 and knows exactly what is going on?

Don't recall for sure but there may be an engine cover you will have to remove to see the spark plugs. On 2002 there should be no plug wires, the system has a coil over each spark plug so you will have to remove each coil to access the spark plugs. These are in the top of the heads, next to the intake manifold. Look for a rubber plug boot similar to those on the end of spark plug wires. The coils are round on top with a two wire connector.

That sounds a little more like what I'm dealing with. Under that cover I don't see anything even remotely ressembling a spark plug or wire. There is something there that I thought were the fuel injectors but I guess they might be the plugs if I took them off? This is blowing my mind I have never heard of this. I'm gonna take these things off tomorrow and find out!! I'll take pics too so you guys won't think I'm crazy.

Jutgin, THERE ARE NO PLUG WIRES ON YOUR EXPLORER! It uses a coil on plug setup. You can tell the difference between the coil and the injector by location, the injector is mounted into the intake manifold.

Somebody wanna break out a camera or cell phone so J can see the plugs?

Maybe...

Maybe J went to get a camera... all the images I found were aaaaalll the same... well, your description of where they are is perfect btexpress, sorry I had the wrong pic there.

Found them guys! Thanks so much, I thought those things were the fuel injectors. Looks like someone has changed them before I bought it, Autolite platinum 2's in there.
Thanks again, I'm sure I'll have some more dumb questions later.....

No pics, man? You promised pics... people will be looking this in the near future.

Yes I'll do the pics tomorrow!! Too late for me to get back out there!!

Stay safe, the pics can wait!

I wish it did but mine looks like that but without the wires there. I can't find them!! Man I feel dumb. Anyone out there in forum world have a V8 and knows exactly what is going on?

Don't feel dumb, Jutgin--you're not alone. I too looked for my plugs last week on my 02 EB 4.6 when I cleaned my IAC valve. I could not believe I couldn't find my plugs or more frustrating-the wires to the plugs. I have to change my DPFE sensor this weekend so I am really anxious to see your pics!

Hey btexpress- as far as the coil on plug set-up, am I correct to assume I won't be able to upgrade to a screamin-demon coil pack? Any upgrades I could do that you recommend?

Don't feel dumb, Jutgin--you're not alone. I too looked for my plugs last week on my 02 EB 4.6 when I cleaned my IAC valve. I could not believe I couldn't find my plugs or more frustrating-the wires to the plugs. I have to change my DPFE sensor this weekend so I am really anxious to see your pics!

Hey btexpress- as far as the coil on plug set-up, am I correct to assume I won't be able to upgrade to a screamin-demon coil pack? Any upgrades I could do that you recommend?

These coils will put out just as much or more KV than any mod will. More than enough for the engine to perform best. I don't know of any coil options for this engine, you will have to check around, but the stock coils are pretty potent, except for the boots leaking sometimes.

I have an 02 xlt 4.0 do i have spark plug wires? I've had the hood up many of times i just didn't pay attention. I may have to run outside in my boxers with a flashlight and look.

Back