spark plugs | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

spark plugs

Just go with the stock part # or equivalent Autolite. I believe for all it is just a basic platnum single electrode plug. The Part number is on the hood tag of your truck. The computer was setup to run best with that exact plug/heat range there are rare occasions when you want to change it up a bit. But for a stock setup it is best to stick with the stock heat range.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just go with the stock part # or equivalent Autolite. I believe for all it is just a basic platnum single electrode plug. The Part number is on the hood tag of your truck. The computer was setup to run best with that exact plug/heat range there are rare occasions when you want to change it up a bit. But for a stock setup it is best to stick with the stock heat range.

well my truck is sorta stock. other than the plugs and taylor wires, i modified the exhaust a bit, got a volant cold air intake, throttle body spacer, plus a xcal-2 programmer from henson performance. but i will give them plugs a go next plug change. thanks for all the input.

Motorcraft plugs. Hands down. They work great with the ignition system and are durable enough to last 50-60K. Anything else on a stock or mildly modded Explorer and you are just asking to spend more or have problems to chase while thinking it can't possibly be the plugs since you just replaced them. The newer iridium plugs work great with newer engines designed to take advantage of them, not so much on an older vehicle with an ignition spec'd to use the OE double platinum. The newer Platinum plugs have gone to the thinner electrode design like the iridiums anyway. You also might have a heck of a time changing out 100,000 mile iridiums after they have spent the last 100,000 miles in a cast iron cylinder head. Not fun.

As for wires, if you want the best stock replacements money can buy I'd suggest Magnecor. Great product at a reasonable price, with absolutely no gimmicks.

Platinum on both the J ground bar and the central tip. Most Motorcraft plugs refer to this for both banks.

Motorcraft plugs. Hands down. They work great with the ignition system and are durable enough to last 50-60K. Anything else on a stock or mildly modded Explorer and you are just asking to spend more or have problems to chase while thinking it can't possibly be the plugs since you just replaced them. The newer iridium plugs work great with newer engines designed to take advantage of them, not so much on an older vehicle with an ignition spec'd to use the OE double platinum. The newer Platinum plugs have gone to the thinner electrode design like the iridiums anyway. You also might have a heck of a time changing out 100,000 mile iridiums after they have spent the last 100,000 miles in a cast iron cylinder head. Not fun.

As for wires, if you want the best stock replacements money can buy I'd suggest Magnecor. Great product at a reasonable price, with absolutely no gimmicks.

yea i found some magnecor plugs for my application for under $80.00. i heard they were really good wires.

Back