Changing spark plugs | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing spark plugs

Just a question, isnt the Coil Pack, basically what would be considered a distributor on other engines?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What I said may have sounded harsh, but it wasn't intended for Mr. Boyle. He is certainly entitled to any opinion he likes. As for the plugs being easy they are definately not. You can only easily get to 4 of them. If I didn't have a large selection of diff. sizes wrenches adapters and sockets I wouldn't try it. And buy platinum plugs and good quality wires. If you buy cheap wire and regular plugs you'll just have to change them again sooner.

Ok... Cut and dry way to fix all this... Pictures...
Lables as follows: 4.0 OHV v6 ('93)
1:Coil pack/DIS
2:Oil Cap
3:Spark plug w/ wire boot
4:Spark Plug
5:Exaust ports (exaust manifold goes here)
6:Oil Filter
7:Motor Mount (attached to frame/crossmember)
Dead Link Removed

Note: to get to your spark plugs this way you need to sawzall your pass side fender off :D (J/K)
the two plugs (#3 & 4 in pic) are the ones that are "hidden" under the heater/AC box on the passenger side of the motor

(Numbers used on the pic are for lableing only...)

JEEEEEEEZ
As I read over these resonses I don't know if I want to laugh or what. The plugs aren't that hard, just a PITA.
Coolrush
There are 6 spark plugs on the 6cyl 4.0 engine. To change them its easy, well kinda. There are 3 easy ones on the drivers side, you can see them from the top and I would save them till last.
There are are 3 on the passenger side, one in the front, just below the oil dipstick, and 2 behind that one that you can't see.
This is what I do for the ones you can't see. To make it easy for a first timer, jack up the truck and remove the front passenger tire. Unclip the rubber liner inside the fenderwell and look at the rear of the engine through there. You will see 2 plugs in there that you can get to with a standard socket wrench. I would do those first because they are the toughest and be very careful removing the plug wires, do not pull on the wire, pull on the boot. I like to twist the boot on the plug first before pulling it off, just to make sure its ready to come off.
Once you do it once you'll be good to go for the next time.

oooook i totally understand now... my problem was that i thoguht the coil pack was the 6 spark plugs. THAT was what i was missing... thanks for clearing that up.

Back