speaker questions with aftermarket radio | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

speaker questions with aftermarket radio

mechanic021

Reaction score
I have a 2 door blazer that has 6 speakers in it. I added a aftermarket cd player so I know It can only handle 4 speakers. my question is with out having to get a set of components how can I add 2 more speakers so I can have 6 again? Do I need to add an amp? I have a small amp powering my sub so I quess adding another wont hurt. thanks for the help even though its not a ford

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

but I was told its bad for a aftermarket head unit to hook 2 speakers to the same channel is this true?

well i never heard that, might be true, most HU's are made to run at 4 ohms... but will probably do fine at 8 ohms... but yeah you could get an aftermarket amp and use that to power the speakers... but then your better off getting a 6 channel amp and using that to power all the speakers instead of just 2... just something to consider just in case you do consider getting an amp for your speakers.

you could just email the company and find out if an 8 ohm operation is ok for the HU.. i know 2 ohm isnt very safe for them

so I could get 2 sets of 4 ohm speakers one set for my doors and one set for my dash and hook them up to say the front channels on the radio is this what your saying?

as long as its in serries... if its in parallel you might get clipping depending on how high you put the volume

in series does that mean like wires running from one set of speakers to the other then the head unit? also what if I amped my 4 speakers i have now and added 2 to the amp? so i woul dhave six on a 4 channel, is this bad? I ask cause i have an old 4 channel amp lying around

What do you mean by 6 speakers?? Two tweets on the dash and two in the front doors and 2 in the rear doors?? If so, then your aftermarket HU will work fine because those tweets on the dash are on the same circuit with the front door speakers, which use the front channels. Most automotive manufacturers have a 4-channel system, in regardless how many speakers it has in the car.

In the newer cars with a center speaker on the dash, then that speaker is on the center channel, so that car/minivan has a 5-channel system. My Acura has a 5-channel system, 2 tweets on the dash and 2 full range speakers on the front doors with the front 2 channels, 2 channels on the rear deck (2 full range), and one channel goes to the ceiling where it has 2 mid-range speakers right in front of the sunroof.

[QUOTE='96explorereddiebauer]What do you mean by 6 speakers?? Two tweets on the dash and two in the front doors and 2 in the rear doors?? If so, then your aftermarket HU will work fine because those tweets on the dash are on the same circuit with the front door speakers, which use the front channels. Most automotive manufacturers have a 4-channel system, in regardless how many speakers it has in the car.

In the newer cars with a center speaker on the dash, then that speaker is on the center channel, so that car/minivan has a 5-channel system. My Acura has a 5-channel system, 2 tweets on the dash and 2 full range speakers on the front doors with the front 2 channels, 2 channels on the rear deck (2 full range), and one channel goes to the ceiling where it has 2 mid-range speakers right in front of the sunroof.[/QUOTE]

yeah i was thinking that it would be something like that on his durango... but who knows...

in my blazer I have 4x6 speakers in the dash, 6.5s in the doors and 6x9's in the rear quarters. I unhooked the dash speakers after I put in my aftermarket deck because they didnt sound quite right. they seemed to be at a loss for power or something. So I was wondering how to hook all six up so they sound right. Im on a tight budget so im trying to be creative but not rig anything either. im thinking maybe get another small 2 channel amp to run my 2 dash speakers off of then hook it and my 4 channel up? That or if i got another 4 channel amp would it sound bad to run to speakers and 2 subs off the same 4 channel amp is this even possible?

yeah its possible to run subs and speakers off the same amp... but then the subs wont get much power because most 4 channel amps are sorta weak

ahh i see, well i have a 200 watt max amp running to my sub now so would i notice a huge difference? im not into huge bass or anything just alittle there to help the music

so your going to run the first channels to the speakers... and the second to bridged to the sub?

your going to notice loss in bass, but probably not much, as long as the amp has a built in cross over that would be good... just remember to put the fist 2 channels to hpf

alright sorry to keep dragging this out but I just got off the phone with kenwood about the deck i have. They told me I could wire the speakers in series. Can you show me how to do that? and im very greatful for your help and patience!! oh and if i wire the speakers in series later on can I still hook them to an amp while wired in series? thanks again !

Mike

Yeah...no problem, you're not a bother. I was not much help since I don't have much expertise in automotive audio but I hope you have answers to your questions and please don't hesitate to ask more if you have more questions. Good luck!

Back