Speaker Questions for the Experienced Audiophiles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speaker Questions for the Experienced Audiophiles

LStoudenmire

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
I'm new at the audio upogrades, so bear with me. I have a 94 Sport and am planning on upgrading my system. The first phase will be the installation of replacement speakers, followed by a new HU and then an amp(s) later and possibly a sub in the rear. I had planned on KENWOOD Excelon KFC-XR500 (5.25") for the ft drs and then the KENWOOD Excelon KFC-X688C for the rear panels. Although, I have been seeing folks online placing 6x8 in the frt doors and the rears, whereas I have always been under the impression that the 5.25 would produce more highs which should be in the ft doors and the rear should be for more bass oriented speakers(which i would think the 6x8's would produce more than the 5.25's). (How's that for a runon sentence?) It seems to me that if you put 6x8's in both frt and rear locations that you would not be achieveing more highs in the frt. Is this true?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With 5 1/4 Coxials or Components, you get a better mid range sound and speaker selection. The difference in bass isn't significant. your set-up sounds pretty good to me. I'd definately get an amp to power the speakers though.

:chug:

If I were you I would go with 5 1/4" components up front and put either 5 1/4", or 6 x 8" in the rear. Having compnents up front allows you to focus the sound with a serperate mid and tweet. This will result in better sound quality. In my girlfriends car, I put Kenwood 5 1/4"components up front, Kenwood 5 1/4" in the rear and (1) 10" Kicker Comp VR (dual 2ohm) off of a Kicker ZR 120 amp........it freaking rocks!!! In my Explorer I use JL Audio components up front, JL Audio 6x9s in the rear, and (1) 12" Alumapro Alchemy......these are all pushed my Kicker ZX460 and ZR240 amps....it jams too. These are just a few ideas...good luck:D

Components up front 6x8 in back.

The front has space for components. I have 6.5" Boston Accoustics components in the front. These will give much better sound tahn most coaxials. The back should get a set of good 6x8s. These usually produce a bit more bass than 5.25s or 6.5s. Also, I'm assuming you do most of your driving from the front seat, so rear sound quality is not as important. Spend the big buck for up front, and then get some decent but cheaper speakers in the back. The back is mainly for "fill" to help round out the sound. Plus, the 6x8s will give a bit more bass.

I originally had planned on putting KENWOOD KFC-P503
components in the front, but wasn't sure if the results would be worht the extra 50 or so bucks. Thanks for the input. I will definitely go the component route. Always helps to have a second opinion. That's why I love this site. Not sure if Rick will see this or not, but thanks for getting it back up and running. Really appreciate your work!

Back