• Register Today It's free!

Speaker recommendations?

JohnnyBoy1102

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
I just found out the 6 X 8s i bought to replace my door speakers are too large as far as mounting depth. i was lied to on the website it said my doors would accomodate 2.5 and they really only accomodate 2 inches after grilles and so forth. anyone got any good ideas for a 6 x 8 or similar size that fits in a 98 Explorer sport door.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have some Kenwood 2-ways from Best Buy. Mine sounds better than my friends 300 dollar components. It's about the installation.

I think he means about the size, the ones he got where too big

i have 220 watt KENWOOD 3 way 5x7's in my X

Im sure the Kenwoods will fit

i need 6 X 8s. i heard that 5 X 7 will fit but i dont know if and how i would be able to fit them. i need something with a mounting depth of around 2 1/4 rather than the ones i got now that are like 3 inch.

If you want some good speakers and don't mind spending a little $$, check out Boston Acoustics SL80's. Several members have them and they are a great set of speakers. I have them in all four doors, powered by the Alpine MRP-F250. They sound great in my setup, can get uncomfortably loud without distorting, and that's with the amp only turned halfway up.

Check out http://www.explorerforum.com/reviewpost/showcat.php/cat/13 they have some reviews on diff. speakers.

5x7 and 6x8 will work. You could also buy an adapter plate that will allow you to use 6" round speakers plus add a tweeter to the plate as well. I seen them and am thinking about building my own for my rig. The plates are $30 a pair. They fit on the factory mounts. 5.25" speakers will also fit on these plates. I found them at a local car stereo shop. Boston Acoustics make a great 6" sub, and a 6" mid that will sound great. Subs in the back door, mids and tweeters in the front doors. There are 2 sets of speaker mounts in my 2nd gen rear doors, I could get crazy with this if I wanted too! :)

Lol im looking more in the price range of 65 bucks. my new speakers were only 65 a pair. im keeping the one set and sending the other one back to get a refund.

Lol im looking more in the price range of 65 bucks. my new speakers were only 65 a pair. im keeping the one set and sending the other one back to get a refund.

If its cheap your after, then the pioneers made for the fords sound good. About $60 a pair. Wal-Mart sells them.

lol dunno if i like the idea of wal mart speakers but i may have to try this option. at least until i can find some rockfords for my doors. cuz i really like rockfords sound quality its just that they wont fit in my doors with out some fabrication/modification.

pretty much what he said ^^^^^^^

Danny

pioneer is still pioneer no matter where you buy them... its not like walmart makes the speakers and puts a pioneer logo on them... walmart just sells the lower qauilty pioneers

Danny

Walmart sells them, they dont make them! They sound better than the stockers! If you want quality, be prepared to shell out some dough! Cheap skates get cheap stuff! And they have cheap sounding tunes!
Best of luck, :)

well rockford aint cheap stuff lol, i got them at a wholesale price when theyre normally 140 a pair i got em for 65 from www.onlinecarstereo.com a great site they have all types of brands and selections. i might just get those pioneers. hope they dont suck.

I just found out the 6 X 8s i bought to replace my door speakers are too large as far as mounting depth. i was lied to on the website it said my doors would accomodate 2.5 and they really only accomodate 2 inches after grilles and so forth. anyone got any good ideas for a 6 x 8 or similar size that fits in a 98 Explorer sport door.

I am wondering the same question....what speakers size should I get? I have a 92 XLT.

I'm going to give these a try. 2 3/8 deep...supposed to bolt right into our car with no issues. We'll see I guess. I had a couple other speaker brands I wanted, but where these are supposed to fit just fine, and I have a Pioneer head unit, I thought I might as well try these. Besides, I like a nice sounding stereo, but I don't have perfect pitch and I don't amplify my signal.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11654_Pioneer+Premier+TS-D802P.html

theyre normally 140 a pair

That's still dirt cheap. Better than stock? Ya, probably. But don't expect to get amazing sound quality.

And I know this seems ridiculous, but in the car audio world, 5x7 = 6x8.

You can also get round coaxials or components, like 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 that come with an adapter plate, or you can make one.

You might also be able to make a spacer ring to bring any speaker out a little bit so that it won't sit as deep into your door.

Boston does make good speakers. Not sure if they offer anything in your price range, though.

Honestly, an amp will be the best thing you can do for your speakers, besides an aftermarket head unit.

Just my .02!

well i mean i have an after market HU, but my 4 channel amp is broke :( and i dont feel like running a second amp anyways, i need a new battery before i do that so the speakers are staying on the head unit for now. and the rockfords sounded a lot better than what i had before. they sound great to be honest. well worth the money.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im not really into music. but i must say if you want clarity clarion speakers are crisp clear.

Back