Speaker wires-Pos or Neg? which one! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speaker wires-Pos or Neg? which one!

riverst

Reaction score
City, State
Hampton, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Sport
I un-hook my speaker wires from my amp when i moved and now im stuck on which wire is which. So my question is how do i determine which speaker wire is positive or Negative if the speaker wire is not color coded? I know i can pull all the speaker wires from the speakers and rewire, but that involves a lot of work. I just dont what to wire my speakers wrong.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

riverst said:
I un-hook my speaker wires from my amp when i moved and now im stuck on which wire is which. So my question is how do i determine which speaker wire is positive or Negative if the speaker wire is not color coded? I know i can pull all the speaker wires from the speakers and rewire, but that involves a lot of work. I just dont what to wire my speakers wrong.

99.9% of all wire is coded in some way. Speaker wires will have a stripe on one side, or ridges or someway to identify one side from another. Did you not pay attention to how you hooked it up?

I personally use the side with the stripe as the (-) lead. I do that all of the time everytime, so if I were to disassemble my system ten years from now, the same would hold true, (-) = stripe.

If you hook them back up and there is no bass, provided there was before you unhooked them, they are backwards. Problem with this is you have a large number of combinations to go through, potentially, before you get it hooked back up correctly, hence the reason you do it one way and one way all of the time. Oh, if you have speakers wired in series, don't just start hooking them up, you can damage equipment that way.

Best bet, loosen the speakers and see what lead goes where, then repeat it at the amp. Good luck man :confused:

take a small battery and hook up the 2 wires if the speaker pushes out the the wire that you have toucking the pos is the pos out put of the the speaker if the speaker sucks in the the pos out put of the speaker is touching the negative of the battery

as long as they are all the same it doesnt matter.

But they ALL have to be the same.
ie. the stripe is negative for ALL or the stripe is positive for ALL

you could also get speaker harnesses so you could plug in that big gray deal to it and you wouldn't have to cut any wires, which is good if you decided to go back to stock and wanted to keep your aftermarket speakers.

oilfield said:
take a small battery and hook up the 2 wires if the speaker pushes out the the wire that you have toucking the pos is the pos out put of the the speaker if the speaker sucks in the the pos out put of the speaker is touching the negative of the battery
When in doubt, this is what I do. Works very well.

Thanks,
I needed that advice. I was about to drive my self crazy!

Back