Speechless | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

KZerman

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer
At the age of 40, I bought my first new car. I went with the 2011 Ford Explorer for many reasons. The car is now 2-years old and I am frustrated beyond belief and disgusted.

The rear brakes started making squealing sounds and I smelled burning about 2 months ago. I contacted the dealer (Gordie Boucher Ford in Menomonee Falls, WI), took it in, was told all is well. 3 weeks later, the sound was getting worse and the brakes just did not feel right. Called the dealer again, took it back in. It was inspected, I was told all is well. 2 weeks after that, there is very clearly a problem with the brakes and I am hearing grinding. I took the car in AGAIN. This time I heard, "yes, you need new rotors and pads on your rear brakes". I am not happy. I went to a trusted mechanic and he told me that the calipers froze, which in turn trashed my rear pads and rotors. Additionally, I was told that this is such a problem with Ford calipers that there ARE NONE IN THE UNITED STATES. They are on national backorder and will not arrive until mid-September. I did not hear this from the dealer (Gordie Boucher Ford in Menomonee Falls, WI). I am disgusted.

This means that I am unable to drive my two-year old Ford Explorer with 39K miles on it for 2 months....OR I risk the lives of myself, my children and others because I cannot get my relatively new Ford Explorer serviced. Those are both very bad options.

Has anyone else run into this? (apparently many have or the entire US stock of calipers would not be depleted). I am considering a class action lawsuit, as this was not a recalled item and CLEARLY should have been as it impacts safety.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tell them you want a loaner until your inoperable, warranty-covered vehicle is repaired.

Tell them you want a loaner until your inoperable, warranty-covered vehicle is repaired.

Unless KZerman purchased an extended warranty that covers those componets, it's not under warranty anymore. The factory-backed warranty is 3 years or 36,000, whichever occurs first. This guy has 39k miles on his 2011 so unfortunately it is not under the "factory" warranty any longer, if it would even cover that part. I believe brake pads and rotors are only covered for 12m/12k miles. Calipers maybe for the 3/36.

Good luck with getting your Ex fixed, KZ.

I just checked RockAuto and there is no shortage of calipers for sale there for a 2011 Explorer.

My dealership would likely accommodate. :dunno:

I initially thought the same thing about aftermarket but didn't bother to search. Generally, when Ford under-engineers something, I look for replacements that may be better. Brake parts are one of those parts I usually go full out high performance aftermarket when factory parts wear out (or fail).

Thanks to all of you that have taken the time to reply, I really appreciate it.
1. I did ask for a loaner, without cooperation. Thanks for the suggestion.
2. I did purchase an extended warranty and was told by the dealer that this is not covered. I think I need to revisit that.
3. I looked at Rock Auto and you are absolutely right, they do have remanufactured parts. I wanted Ford parts because the Explorer is only 2 years old but those haven't performed well. Would you buy remanufactured parts?

Thanks to all of you that have taken the time to reply, I really appreciate it.
1. I did ask for a loaner, without cooperation. Thanks for the suggestion.
2. I did purchase an extended warranty and was told by the dealer that this is not covered. I think I need to revisit that.
3. I looked at Rock Auto and you are absolutely right, they do have remanufactured parts. I wanted Ford parts because the Explorer is only 2 years old but those haven't performed well. Would you buy remanufactured parts?

Certainly. "Re-man" does not mean "used".

Good point. I appreciate the distinction between "re-man" and "used". My concern is that remanufactured parts will violate my extended warranty. (I bought the Platinum Extended Warranty when I bought my Explorer)

Good point. I appreciate the distinction between "re-man" and "used". My concern is that remanufactured parts will violate my extended warranty. (I bought the Platinum Extended Warranty when I bought my Explorer)

Hmmm.....don't know if using non-OEM parts to repair stuff that is not covered by a warranty would void that warranty.

Logically, it seems like it shouldn't matter, but manufacturers aren't in the business of being logical. There's probably some font size 2 blurb in a third tier reference document that says using non-Ford fuel voids your warranty.

So, check with the Ford Warranty Claim Denial Ministry before proceeding.

I've had my calipers ruin many brake pads and routers in my 2011 Ford Explorer. I've had so many now that I can return my car before the part warranty wears out and have it all replaced again. I figured out that they can measure the heat of the wheel to see if it is sticking. They keep replacing it with the same part and the same problem continues I was lucky to buy an extended warranty, but I've still had to pay deductibles. My latest visit today the service department paid for the replacement in full because the last one wore out close to warranty. Smoking breaks, squealing sounds from my car, ruined brake pads and routers, less efficiency overall in my vehicle, visits to the service department which lower my value on carfax, yep it's time to build my case. Time to contact that lawyer who took on Honda for me.

Why not switch to aftermarket calipers?

Back