Paul Gagnon

Poseur SUV
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sherwood Park, Alberta eh?
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
First off I find the speed limiter in reverse to be extremely annoyning and unneccessary but my real question is: Has this ridiculously low limit affected your ability to get unstuck from mud or snow? Seems to me that in a situation where you would need to rock your vehicle back and forth the speed limiter would be a hinderance. Any real world experience with this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At around 30 km/h or 20 mph. Might even be less.

I've never heard of any type of speed limiter electronic or otherwise for reverse. I've red-lined mine in reverse in both the Exploder and the F-150, and my '93 Ranger as well..... It's typically gearing-limited, and usually on the autos, reverse falls right around first gear's ratio, so speeds in reverse are similar to first gear going forward.

Manuals are a whole other monster....

-Joe

Its a pain. Got the parent's stuck in a ditch and could take it over 3k in reverse. Kind of sucked.

gijoecam said:
I've never heard of any type of speed limiter electronic or otherwise for reverse. I've red-lined mine in reverse in both the Exploder and the F-150, and my '93 Ranger as well..... It's typically gearing-limited, and usually on the autos, reverse falls right around first gear's ratio, so speeds in reverse are similar to first gear going forward.

Manuals are a whole other monster....

-Joe

Thanks but that is irrelevant to a dsicussion about 2002-up Explorers. Most, if not all new Fords limit the speed in reverse.

Paul Gagnon said:
Thanks but that is irrelevant to a dsicussion about 2002-up Explorers. Most, if not all new Fords limit the speed in reverse.

I see... I was assuming it was a mis-placed thread about your '92... my bad.

Yet another reason never to buy a 3rd gen.

-Joe

Back