• Register Today It's free!

Speed Related "Whirring"

Krebs21

Reaction score
City, State
vacaville, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer
I've been working on reviving my suspension and steering on my 92' eddie bauer. I replaced the front shocks, coils, rotors and wheel bearings. About a week after I got an alignment I started to hear a pretty high pitched "Whirr". It gets Louder and higher in pitch as I accelerate and winds down as I decelerate. I'm pretty sure its coming from the rear, I don't know if it's just coincidence or has any thing to do with the work done up front. I also Heard sort of a Crunching nose as came to a stop from a 3-5 mph speed , the Crunch sound only happens when I get off of work early in the morning after the vehicle as been sitting. I changed the rear brake shoes and it seems like the sound has gotten quieter but still present. I do have some play in the rear wheels when lifted of the ground ( I can shake the part with the lug bolts that connects to the axle about 1/16", if that makes sense) looking for some opinions and what the problem and solution could be.

There is also about 1/4" of play in the drive shaft when in nuetral ( from what I've read that seems normal/ok), also I forgot to mention the whirring noise stays consistent when I push in the clutch or shift to neutral while moving, so I'm thinking that means its not rpm related. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would change your transfer case ASAP. It could be your rear differential too.

I think it's your rear diff. What to do at this point, I'm not sure. I would probably take the cover and check the color of the fluid and clean it all out, and check for wear on the gears. If it doesn't look too good, then I would go ahead and rebuild the whole thing.

Ok, thanks I appreciate the info.

sounds to could be possibly bad u joints, im not familiar with first gens, but have heard similar symptoms on second gens and that was usually the cause just my 2 cents

If it's speed related I too would inspect the driveline. Depending on how much power you can get to your rear wheels you could try accelerating turns really hard to test your u joints. One may not be able to keep up with the other and you'll find your problem.

Back