• Register Today It's free!

speedometer not working properly

abel8a

Reaction score
City, State
Chula Vista California
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ford explorer 4x4
ok Fellas, heres my story, my 95 Ford explorer 4x4 was parked for 7 months because tranny broke, got new tranny, worked well except for speedometer, it only Works when i do 50 or more and even then, its not stable, goes up and down, replaced speed sensor, no changes at all, can anyone give me advice on what the problema might be, thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the problem might be the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) i think on your year it might still be in the transmission, rather than in the rear diff like on the later models. did you transfer the old one from your broken trans?

It is in the t-case on the 95/97 , id say look hard at the plastic gears both the one on the vss and the one in the case as that's the most common failure, after that would be the plug and wiring as they tend to get smashed during removal of the case or tranny

Let me know if you need a picture of it

my explorer is a 4x4 so the vss is in the transfer case, and i did replace it with a new one and still sameb problem, i might have to take a look at the wiring harness.

can you show mw the picture please

i meant to say me not mw

what does the plastic gears look like

Back